1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgian Luger Killed: Is it ethical to broadcast the crash?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JennaLaine, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So was Gonzalo Rodriguez death at Laguna Seca the same year.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Bubbler, what do you think the cause of Senna's crash was?

3. Bubbler

Its been said that his helmet was pierced by a suspension piece. Given the blunt force impact of his accident, it's completely plausible, though if he was hit by the wheel at all on impact, it would've killed him.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Bubbler, thanks. And I thought it was a Belgian GP; the Villeneuve accident was what I was thinking of. The Pryce crash was equally awful.

5. Machine Head

I mean do you think it was the steering column modification, tires or driver error.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Palletti was a probably a goner before the fire even started.

I'm just glad that no footage exists of Cevert or Koinigg's accidents.

7. Bubbler

In Palletti's case, his injuries sustained in the initial accident contributed to his death. Because of his chest injuries he couldn't handle the chemical used in the fire extinguisher when his car was engulfed by flame. That's what killed him, but you're right, he probably would've died anyway.

God had it out for Palletti that day: horrid starting line accident where he's slammed from behind, followed by a fire (where he didn't suffer a burn), but he dies anyway due to chemical inhalation. Terrible.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I think there is something that can be learned here. The first thing I thought when I saw the video (not knowing that he had died; I was at a bar with the TV on mute) was: What the HELL are those posts doing there, where a crashing luger can be be flung?

Just presenting the facts doesn't get the same reaction from me: A luger died in a horrific crash. The course has had several crashes recently and is the fastest in the world. Luge crashes are relatively common and drivers suffer extreme consequences. A poor course design contributed to his death.

A CGI rendering would have got the point across as well, though.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Driver error seems to be the main talking point of Olympic spin machine. Little mention of flawed course design that seemed to factor little in for safety. Speeds up to 95 MPH as compared to winning time at Torino of 84mph.

I just don't see how any right minded person could design a course ending with those steel girders. Even if you never saw a luge track in your life common sense would tell you that was a major safety issue.

10. Machine Head

Coming back just to finish the Senna conversation, I've always wondered about the weld on the steering column breaking as was shown in photos after the crash. Did it break before the crash as some say and that was why he couldn't make the needed correction, or did Senna just made a mistake going into the turn.

11. If I were a luger in these Olympics, I'm not going anywhere near that track. Not worth it.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And you thought the Olympics were run by amoral dirtbags prior to this. Now, there's no doubt.

Lingering, painful cancer is too
    good for these MFs.

Draft saved Draft deleted