1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgian Luger Killed: Is it ethical to broadcast the crash?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JennaLaine, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Apparently another guy wiped out there in practice as well. How do they legitimately hold that event with out addressing whatever the safety issue is with the track?

2. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Was just reading that. Says the guy was knocked unconscious yesterday - http://www.vancouversun.com/Track+fast+says+head+luge+federation/2557831/story.html

3. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Correction - it was a female who was knocked unconscious - Romanian Violeta Stramaturaru

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think there's gonna be some real fallout from this, and there should be. Unpadded girders. Jeez.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Can the architects be sued for making a course too fast? Or does an athlete waive his rights to sue once he/she hops on the sled?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

ESPN.com needs to change its headline. It says "Luger killed in crash."

I first thought of Lex, then of Dick (whose name is actually spelled with an 'A'), before realizing it was a Winter Games story.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I think it's a fair question. One for which I have no answer. I understand it's news. But I don't know that it's necessary.

Tough day for sure.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why do I think that when I was younger they would show images on the 11 p.m. news that they would not show on the 6 p.m. news?

Did there used to be some unwritten rule about showing this stuff before 9 p.m.?

Am I just crazy to think that? I know I'm nuts, but why do I remember this as a child?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Padding wouldn't have helped. They just shouldn't be there.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

According to MSNBC, the fatality makes at least eight crashes total - just in practice:

=============================================================

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was knocked unconscious and at least four Americans — Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked — have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Maybe they are support beams. I agree though, the course should have been redesigned. Speed is cool and all, but at what cost though?

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

The rule of thumb was always: only show a crash if the victim was OK (i.e. the agony of defeat ski jumper on Wide World of Sports)

Showing a guy's death on TV serves no purpose whatsoever.

In this case, the facts are the news. The video is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted