1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia Press Association awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Larry the Janitor, Jun 9, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does seem silly, but then again if Georgia can have eight classes, maybe APSE could stand to add one or two.

2. sportsed

sportsed Member

I just about spit up water on my keyboard reading this!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think the special olympics gives out that many ribbons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

The GPA awards deal is always held at some beach spot. For the last few years, it's been in Savannah. Couple of years ago, we went to Ponte Vedra. Why? So the north Georgia/metro ATL folks can have a week of vacation at the beach.
    And do not get me started on the awards. Some were deserved. Others? Like awards to folks who don't get quotes or can't write the score the right way (with winning team first, for starters)? Kansas Press Assoc. judged this year, I believe. Makes me wonder about the quality of papers on a similar level in the Jayhawk State.
    (In case you're wondering, I got a couple more to add to the stash, somewhere in a storage unit in the Southeast U.S.).

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

I stand corrected: I needed four fingers to count the number of newspapers represented in the large newspaper category. Guess not everyone gets a ribbon after all. :(

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know of a writer who bemoaned the large number of high school classifications in our state and felt it cheapened the championships and all-state teams because there are so many classifications.
    Back in the day, he worked at a paper in Georgia. I wonder if he felt that way about the number of classifications in the GPA come award time.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But the smallest daily class. The bottom four are all non-dailies. E is for twice- and thrice-weeklies, the other three are weeklies. I don't know that there needs to be three weekly categories, but as there's at least one in just about every county, and the state's got 159 counties...

There's also a lot more awards than this. The PDF's on the Web site for those who are curious.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And when you get down to it, only people from Georgia or Alabama actually want to be in Panama City. Florida residents understand it sucks and reeks of poor white trashdom, and head to Destin or points east and south.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

There's 159 counties in Georgia. That means nearly 159 legal organs in the state (I think less than a handful of counties have their own paper). So you're looking at about 150 or more papers in the state, and that's just the GPA members.
    And I don't get the number of divisions, either, but they didn't ask for my input.

Draft saved Draft deleted