1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia lawmaker has lost his mind.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

These Bobby Franklin stories made me curious what type of forgotten backwoods enclave of Georgia keeps electing someone who wants to abolish all drivers licenses, criminalize miscarriage, and re-label rape victims as accusers.

So I google him and discover that his district is actually Atlanta's northern suburbs and includes the best educated county in Georgia and one of the wealthiest in the country. What. The. Fuck.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

See before I ever found out where the guy was from, I was thinking suburban Atlanta (although my money was on Gwinnett Co) Rich suburban areas are more fertile ground for unadulterated craziness like this than the countryside.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ellijay is one of the most delightful, endearing, Norman Rockwell, non-malignant mountain towns you'll ever find and there was a Klan rally there a year ago. Stupid is just everywhere.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But I bet the majority of Ellijay's citizens were appalled by it. I know some stupid is everywhere but the election of somebody like this implies that the majority of the district's voters approve of the guy. I find that a tad more disconcerting, especially for district that includes the alleged "best educated county in Georgia".

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

From what I just googled (as I am now long gone from Georgia), he ran unopposed in 2010. That kind of thing is a fucking embarrassment to the state, our polity, our system.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yet he keeps winning elections. Damn.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, I think we have some dumbass crazy politicans up here but we're rank amateurs compared to guys like this.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

There is some serious stupidity going on underneath the Gold Dome. A bill to legalize Sunday retail adult beverage sales appeared on the fast track to passage until the head of the Christian Coalition piped up last week. Then the Georgia Senate Republicans decided to caucus before bringing the bill to the floor, shielding its debate from public scrutiny. All of a sudden, and without a public vote, the bill dies, and none of the Republicans will admit to opposing it.

9. cortez

cortez Member

It's the American South

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Voting as a bloc, the Christian Coalition can beat you, down there. Thus, the abject fear. And fear is what it is.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And you described my 12-year-old daughter, a miracle who came along after my wife miscarried one spring, then had a ruptured ectopic that nearly killed her the next.

Well done on the e-mail, Baron. Very. Well. Done.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The distinguished gentleman from Cobb County, on the Georgia House floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted