1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia lawmaker has lost his mind.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's a new bill on the block that may have reached the apex (I hope) of woman-hating craziness. Georgia State Rep. Bobby Franklin has introduced a 10-page bill that would criminalize miscarriages and make abortion in Georgia completely illegal.
    http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/02/miscarriage-death-penalty-georgia

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man pretending yet again to know what its like to be a woman. Yawn. And if you believe in what he says, shame on you.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, those of you calling Scott Walker Hitler can now focus on this guy...

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Same guy who wants to get rid of driver's licenses in Georgia and to officially rename rape victims "accusers." Among many, many ridiculous bills put forth.

At best, he believes his constituents want quantity over quality w/r/t their representative's output. At worst, and probably more likely, he's a putz and a creep.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I love the "no driver's licenses" idea. Thanks to the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution, this means anyone driving without a license could claim to be a Georgia resident, even in Alaska.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My mother had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy before having me. According to this piece of shit she should have been put to death even before I was born.

Fuck off, Bobby Franklin.

7. Baron Scicluna

This pissed me off so bad, I did something I've never done before. He has a website, and an e-mail address (as well as, strangely enough, his home telephone number, which I found rather quaint.)

I sent his office an e-mail, telling him how I felt about his proposed law. This is what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Franklin:

Upon reading about your proposed bill about giving the death penalty to women who have miscarriages, http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/02/miscarriage-death-penalty-georgia I have to say, Sir, who do you think you are?

I am a productive member of society thanks to my mother, who endured TWO miscarriages before having me. I also have two children of my own with my wife. According to your proposed law, that would have been three lives that would not be on this earth had your law been on the books before I was born. How dare you call yourself pro-life!

In a time in this country where we're supposedly are re-examining our rhetoric after the horrific shooting in Tucson of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, I find your proposed bill to be among the most offensive that I have ever read. Offensive to women. Offensive to men. Offensive to children. And yes, offensive to God.

Please do us all a favor and resign. You are an embarrassment to the United States, and mankind.

Sincerely,

Baron Scicluna (and no, I didn't sign it with that)

(looking back now, I should have added the state of Georgia, but oh well)

8. Baron Scicluna

And I got an automatic reply:

"Due to the unreliability of the General Assembly’s technical support team, it is unlikely that I will receive your email. Please call my office at 404-656-0152."

That's funny. He throws the techies under the bus.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My mother had three miscarriages.

Good thing I don't live in Georgia or I might just look into a "Second Amendment Solution."

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Franklin is a holy roller from Cobb County who would use the Book of Deuteronomy to legislate.

http://www.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=1109&PHPSESSID=73fb32032212125ba67a08f7b0f0e022

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Another war that never ends, and must be won and rewon, many times . . .

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a laughable law, but the Mother Jones article is equally so. There's a difference between total incompetence - and many bills are precisely that - and some backwater fool presuming to be a Draconian, mind-reading monster who stretches out his hands and knows when all miscarriages take place. The article has this ohmygoodness! breathless quality to it. It gets old. People have to stop falling for this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted