1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia invaded!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Vladimir Putin's soul told George Bush to go fuck himself.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there's any circumstance that would have seen us get more involved than we have so far. That said, this is in no way, shape, or form, simply about South Ossetia.

3. SigR

SigR Member

I'm curious as to why Russia is the complete bad-guy in this situation. The people in South Ossetia are almost entirely ethnically Russian, identify as Russian, and have had de facto independence from Georgia for a long time. While they are still technically located in Georgia, isn't it reasonable that Russia would feel rightly compelled to stop Georgia's insurgence into South Ossetia, if what Russia says is true about the force used? It's not to say that Russia isn't wrong for "crossing the border", but I don't know how the world could take a hard=line position against Russia when it seems like Georgia were the initial aggressors in this situation.

All that said, I need to do some more reading on it to find out where to find the answers to my questions. This sort of thing is way too close to the mideast (Iran specifically) and oil for comfort. I don't ever expect a World War 3, but if I had to think of ways that one would start...this would be as good a catalyst as any. How much has Russia really changed since it de-Sovietized anyway? And given that Georgia is "pro-western" ideologically, it gives the exact ammunition that the neocons need to create an "us vs. them" declaration of values.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There is simply no stomach to start a war over this incident here. And while the proximity to the mid east is there, I don't see it spilling over into that mess simply because religion isn't much of a factor there.

That said, Russia has been bullying Georgia for a while; taunting Georgia and daring for a response. Georgia finally tried to fight back starting last week, and got a beat down. This isn't Russia's first time inside Georgia this year though. It is just a mess.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Isn't it reasonable? In a word ... no.

Whether the South Ossetians identify as Russian or not, Russia's response was not reasonable in any way. They're bullying the Georgians, whether Georgia instigated this latest clash or not, and they know they can get away with it.

Rightly or wrongly, South Ossetia is not part of Russia. So when Russia crossed the border, they became the insurgents, not Georgia -- borders are supposed to be respected, and if Russia wants South Ossetia (back), military aggression is not the way to get it. That's why the world is condemning Russia, not Georgia.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What if citizens of south Texas, who are almost entirely ethnically Mexican and identify as Mexican, declare their independence from the USA. The governor of Texas sends in the National Guard to restore order. Would the Mexican Army then be justified to cross the border to protect ethnic Mexicans?

Latest reports have the Russians more than 20 miles past the South Ossetia border into Georgia. So, at this point, they aren't protecting anybody. They're invading.

And considering this is about control of a major Black Sea oil pipeline, I think any posturing about "protecting ethnic Russians" is just cover.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Russia stays in Georgia, what will the U.S. response be? After all, we sent in troops when Iraq occupied Kuwait in 1990, and Bush has frequently, in his defense of the Iraq war, discussed 'freedom on the march,' and all that stuff.

So, will the U.S. or U.N. begin military preparations, or do they sit back and let Russia do whatever they feel like?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Begs the question ... preparations with what? How many troops could we -- or the U.N. -- realistically mobilize? Nothing substantial enough to scare Russia, that's for sure.

We're in a real position of weakness here, both militarily and (for lack of a better word) morally, since we're currently occupying a sovereign country ourselves. Bush said on NBC yesterday that he told Putin, "This response is unacceptable." But how can he call it "unacceptable," when we went into Iraq the way we did?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia

I'll never claim South Ossetia expertise, but according to good ole Wikipedia, 25-30% of its population identify themselves as ethnically Georgian; about two-thirds as Ossetian; and the only mention of Russian ethnicity is in some census figures where only around 2% of the population is identified as Russian. The region is described as a "checkerboard of Georgian-inhabited and Ossetian-inhabited towns and villages." Now maybe Wiki's pulled a fast one, but that certainly does not sound like a region that is "almost entirely ethnic Russian."

And the independence of South Ossetia has never been diplomatically recognized, so to describe it as independent is quite misleading. It is still part of Georgia under international law. And, reading between the lines, it sounds like the South Ossetian independence movement was, to a significant degree, fomented and encouraged by the Russian Government, likely with these designs in mind. This included Russia granting Russian passport rights to all South Ossetian residents after declaring themselves independent, despite the fact that the region was legally part of Georgia and not Russia. And it sounds like Russia has been mounting troops in the region and intentionally trying to provoke Georgia over this for years.

But, hey, if you want to believe this is only about mother Russia coming to the rescue of her defenseless children in South Ossetia, have at it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Georgia can't handle the SEC. How can it handle Russia?

And President Stupid has no right to bark at Prime Minister Hardass -- ever.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I could be worrying for no reason, but I'm terrified that all this talk of another Cold War will play right into the Republican's hands in November. I hope indies don't get scared and vote conservatively.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good point, HP, I could definately see McCain riding this issue hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted