1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia Frontiere RIP...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 18, 2008.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The good folks in St. Louis wouldn't care. They got a Super Bowl out of all of this. Say what you will about her, but how many times did her name come up with the Martz vs. front office mess? I didn't hear her name much over that crap.

Look at it this way, L.A., you could have had Bill Bidwell and his longer legacy of buffoonery we call the Cardinals.

L.A. still doesn't have a pro team, unless USC counts.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The thing is, L.A. was a Rams town long before it was a Lakers town. Still a lot of old-time Rams fans around here. Frontiere took over and treated them like shit, the real-life Rachel Phelps.

But yeah, she got hers -- and St. Louis got her. Good riddance.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

LA is such a great NFL town that it still has yet to land an NFL team despite the best efforts of the league to shove one down its throat.

Correct me if I am wrong -- was Frontiere the first of the "you stole our team" owners to win the Super Bowl?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

L.A. isn't trying to land a team. The mayor might be, but the rest of town ain't.

L.A. is such a great NFL town that it refuses to subsidize the building of a new stadium so the league can shove a crappy team down its throat. And L.A. is such a great NFL town that it refuses to pay for luxury renovations to the Coliseum in order for the league to shove a crappy team down its throat.

Anaheim is such a great NFL town that it helped subsidize baseball-only renovations to its existing stadium to discourage the league from trying to shove a crappy team down its throat.

Pasadena is such a great NFL town because it absolutely refuses to allow the league to shove a crappy team down its throat, tying up traffic and adding more congestion for 10 Sundays a year.

5. zagoshe

Ah yes, ole Al. Who can forget.

And for the record I admire LA for telling the NFL to take its product and jam it.....

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, crappy teams can become solid teams in as little as two years, with the way parity, scheduling and the draft work.

7. zagoshe

Provided ownership is committed to that happening

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell, Art Modell won a Super Bowl with the Ravens. You pretty much have to be Bidwill to consistently fuck up in the NFL.

9. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

Or William Clay Ford.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What about George Halas and the Decatur Staleys?

11. zagoshe

And that oil derrek, jar of flies, reminds me of another incompetent -- Bud Adams -- who despite having one of the most talented teams ever assembled in the early 1990's couldn't figure out how to get it right in order to win the Super Bowl.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rosenbloom was no boy scout.

Draft saved Draft deleted