1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley-Macon, May 12, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If you really believe that newspapers are dying because of the quality of the writing, I don't think we can help you.

dmm5455 likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and another thing Biff? Quit reading your press clippings. You're getting a bit of a big head.

3. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I'm not asking for your help? And did I not say it was a mechanism problem, not a talent problem? Did I not say that there are talented sportswriters out there held back by outmoded restraints (paraphrasing)?

Les: I read that Drape column on Pharaoh at the Belmont and really enjoyed it. Amazing job of capturing the weight of that moment. So, as far as that goes, I stand corrected. I would say, though, that I'm talking about more of the everyday journalism--beyond the covering of news. Sports rarely gives us moments as historic as a Triple Crown winner, but in Drape's case, the journalism absolutely rose to the event.

What I want to see more of--and what I'd like to bring to a newspaper--is more thoughtful (and, yes, creative) content devoted to issues. Whether it's treating Ballghazi like the circus it is (by laughing at it) or seeing it as an opportunity to shine a light on the NFL from a new angle (say, perhaps, exploring why Goodell is so reactive--the possibilities there are endless), just something free of the hot takes and hard stances, something nuanced which delves into the complexities of why it really doesn't matter what Goodell does because the NFL still has at least ten more years of dominance. Newspapers have stables of talented writers capable of doing just that, but current constraints prohibit them.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You said journalists are neither thoughtful or creative but they are talented? What mechanism is blocking their creativity that doesn't exist elsewhere?

Waldo9939 likes this.
  5. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

Oh, I got you mixed up. You're the straw man. Typesetting, word counts, management. I feel like I've already covered this, didn't, wait...
    giphy.gif

6. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

And I've yet to see explained how you know any of this? Where have you worked and had your hands tied in such a manner?

7. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

You never asked for an explanation, but I guess my first answer would be common sense. Also, the magic of sight.

Or, if that doesn't satisfy you, because I've talked to several journalists from several markets, all of whom--to a man (or woman)--have said the main drawback of writing for newspapers is the physical limitation of the printed page. It prohibits them from telling the entirety of the story they'd like to tell. Online, of course, is a different matter, but newspapers aren't as well-suited to deliver online content as, say, ya know, online-only outlets.

Your second question is bit of a non-sequitur, no? Why does it matter if I've ever worked somewhere and had my hands tied <?" asked the dominatrix>. I actually know what you're getting at, but considering your smugness I'm not going to ask your question for you. Ask it properly if you want a proper answer.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So you can't tell a good creative story if you don't have the space? Give me a good story and you'll get the space. Fucking moron.

9. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

lulz
    stevedave.gif

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Only the thoughtful and creative writers rely on lulz and gifs to get their point across.

11. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I think you should look up the word "rely," Steve-Dave.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ok, I looked it up. Now what?

Draft saved Draft deleted