1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Will on global warming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Feb 6, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Christians check in
    http://www.christiansandclimate.org/statement

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Invade them?

We have experience at that.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When greater Miami and New Orleans are largely submerged, what will the stalwart sons of Nancy
    Reagan's handmaiden say, then?

4. Lyndon did. Cut the oil-depletion allowance. Got riped in the kept press for his trouble.
    George Will. Boldly ahead of the scientific consensus. Yeesh.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, on the other board, we have All Purpose Hockey/Soccer Threads so that every time the Leafs win, I don't have to start a new thread that no one will read anyway.

. I'd suggest that we have a "An All Purpose Global Warning Running Thread"--since someone posts something about it every couple of days.

And in Hondo's case, maybe an "All Purpose anti-Islam Thread"

A

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be around to see how all this turns out a couple of hundred years from now, but I'm of the opinion that in the year 2100, Exxon/Mobil and Shell and all the other oil companies won't exist to provide a product as they do now. They'll be a new technology that comes along, and instead of world consuming whatever the amount is, 80 million barrels of oil a day, it'll be a small fraction of that. The oil companies will adapt or someone else will fill the gap. The economy will do just fine.

The people running this country don't have enough faith in this country's superior technological know-how. If by some quirk of fate it was determined that there wouldn't be another drop of oil coming out of the ground 10 years from now, we'd find a way to solve the problem without creating an economic disaster.

No, we can't force other countries to fall in line. The world used to look up to the U.S. because we led by setting a good example. Those days are long gone.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's not the point.
    The point I'm trying to raise is this: what if we do everything the environmentalists want us to do. Everything.
    Then what? Think China is going to be so impressed by our self-sacrifice that they're going to start a massive solar and wind power industry?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hondo, we can't wait for everyone else, though, either.

I agree with Buck that we need to have a plan. But we need to start on the plan NOW.

We're already behind.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry hondo, I just believe in cleaning up my own yard before bitching the neighbor's mess.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then we'll be 20 or 30 or 40 years ahead of them with alternative technologies when their oil runs out. As it will. Which then becomes another competitive economic advantage for the US. Which seems to be the only imperative the Right uses to frame this issue.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Conservatives are really stuck on this one. They can't deny it anymore, so they have to alter their stances.

George Will is grasping, and it's painful to read.

As for the effect using less oil has on the economy, there's little point in debating it because it's going to happen, there's no way to stop it, and the market will adjust accordingly.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Exactly -- a year ago, the jury was still out.

Now global warming is a real phenomenon, but the economic impact is the problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted