1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Will on global warming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Feb 6, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16960409/site/newsweek/

If course George Will will be slammed for writing this and I will be slammed for posting it and everyone can go on their merry way thinking that Kyoto will solve all the climactic problems in the world. Yes, the earth is getting warmer. No, there is no solid evidence that it's because we have a lot of cars and factories and riding lawn mowers.

And if the U.S. does everything Al Gore and the rest of the global warming crowd wants it to, nothing will change unless China, Brazil, Indian etc. get on board, which they won't. Have those countries rushed to embrace Kyoto? None of the global warming proponents have ever explained to me what their next step would be if America goes completely green, everyone takes mass transit, rides bicycles and outlaws styrofoam?

Tell me, greenies....The U.S. does anything and everything to make you happy in terms of global warming. You going to then go over to China and tell them what the hell to do?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does he ask Tony LaRussa what he thinks?

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

So if we can't change the entire world's point of view at the same time there's no point in doing the right thing ourselves? Gee, that's inspiring. I thought this country was supposed to be a leader on the world stage, not a follower.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I remember when fast food burgers came in styrofoam containers...

Oooohhhh, the McDLT!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

One of the Google ads on this thread is for An Inconvenient Truth. That makes me laugh.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Should be retitled: "The Truth According to Al Gore."

My point already is being missed. I would like a simple answer to a simple question: If the U.S. began adhering strictly to Kyoto, what would Al Gore and the rest of the do to get the rest of the industrialized nations in line? Would Al head to Beijing and do the Chinese movie version of An Inconvenient Truth?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Will touches on a couple of points we brought up briefly during our discussion the other day, especially choice of alternative, the expense of making the switch nationally and the expense of making the switch internationally.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We can't ask other countries to do what we're unwilling to do ourselves.

9. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

Actually, Brazil leads the world in ethanol-fueled cars...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of not asking other countries to do something we're unwilling to do. Rather, we could incur this massive economic blow for no reason, especially of the other major green-house-gas producers won't comply or be policed.

Also, Brazil might lead the world in ethanol-fueled cars, I honestly don't know, but that doesn't mean that the country isn't producing a lot of green house gases, too.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I remember when recycling was seen as a fringe idea. It didn't happen overnight, but now it's commonplace.

I don't want the economy to be ruined. The vast majority of eco-friendly people understand that. But it's time to start taking steps in that direction.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

I've never understood why cutting pollution equals economic collapse.

Draft saved Draft deleted