1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Vecsey: What, me retire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Vecsey denies he plans to retire and also exposes some shoddy reporting by The New York Observer in the process.

Per the Murray Chass blog:

<i>"In a column last week about the pending extinction of the Sports of the Times column in The New York Times, I quoted the article in the New York Observer that disclosed the plan as saying that George Vecsey, one of the Times columnists, “told the Observer that at age 70, ‘he’s about ready to retire.’”
    Vecsey, in an e-mail, said he told the Observer no such thing. He never told anyone he was retiring, Vecsey wrote. “Because I am not” he added. “I like what I do.”
    John Koblin of the Observer, Vecsey said, “asked me how long I planned to work and I said something like, ‘Let’s put it this way: I don’t think I’ll be doing this a decade from now.’” He added in his e-mail, “I also told him, as long as I can walk faster than people half my age going up the stairs from the clubhouse to the press box that I would keep working.”
    I asked Koblin about the matter, and he responded, “I asked George how many years he had left as a columnist. He replied, ‘Not too many.’ He went on to explain, as I quoted him, that it’s a young person’s business and that he wouldn’t want to get old in the job. George is 70. I took that to imply that he was about ready to retire. If George is saying to you that he’s going to be doing this for a while then that’s great news for all of us.”</i>

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Uh, the New York Times' editors might have something to say about his end date, way things have been going.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, yeah, we want to be left with Rhoden.

Sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted