1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Vecsey to stop writing his column and semi-retire from NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

DD, your opening comment makes it sound like he's a real polarizing figure or something. I'm a West Coaster, so I haven't read much of his stuff, but from every comment I've read about him here or elsewhere, he seems to be universally liked and respected.

Now, PETER Vecsey, on the other hand...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Universally respected. Some people think George is prickly. But all people think Peter is a prick.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think George is a wonderful man, and I've enjoyed his work. I'm not going to pretend like I was his biggest fan, but I liked a lot of it. I know plenty of people, however, who complained that he was a bore. I think that happens to guys who try to write eloquently, and don't lob firebombs very often. If ever.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A good Q&A here with George.

http://www.wplucey.com/2011/12/a-departing-q-a-with-george-vecsey.html

Sad that he and Peter no longer appear to even be on speaking terms. At least that's what I gather from George's answer about how they "don't share much these days."

If you've never read Scott Price's story about the two of them, it's one of my favorite things Prince has ever done, and maybe one of the best bonus pieces SI has run in the last 20 years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013062/1/index.htm

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hopefully he can devote himself to having his brother killed. :D

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved it . . . especially, George, who wouldn't say shit if he had a mouthful, taking off the gloves and treating King George III like the ratshit he was.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Indeedy. He was no Skip Bayless, that's for sure.
    I like George and his approach an awful lot.

8. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

He would take the train into the city from port Washington and always had time for a chat. I liked his bob welch bio and he was sad it was no longer in print because the message was increasingly relevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted