1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Schroeder and family could use some prayers right now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murphyc, Dec 27, 2009.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

George Schroeder, sports columnist at the Register-Guard in Eugene, Ore. had a powerful column on Christmas. For those not familiar with George, here's a brief bio from the R-G site:
    George Schroeder has been a columnist at The Register-Guard since 2007. His work has twice been recognized among the nation’s best columns by the Associated Press Sports Editors. He previously worked at The Oklahoman newspaper of Oklahoma City and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette of Little Rock. He is currently president of the Football Writers Association of America and is a regular contributor to SI.com.

Anyway, about a month ago George's younger son was born with known health issues. The family is in Arkansas as little Christopher is being tended to.
    Here is the column George wrote on Christmas:
    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24292682-41/gift-christmas-christopher-family-heart.csp

If you could keep the Schroeder family in your thoughts and prayers, that would be much appreciated. I've had the pleasure of talking with George a couple of times, and have found him to be a great guy. I'm willing to help out in any way, if anyone has ideas.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I abhor the tired "It just got dusty in here" cliche.

But that column . . . powerfully done. Prayers to Schroeder's family for little Christopher.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any updates on this?
    I looked and saw that George had a column today from LA, so he's not still in Arkansas and I looked at his blog but it hasn't been updated since Christmas.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

heartfelt prayers to george and family. what a difficult time.

but one problem, lest someone can set me straight: in praying for a healthy heart for his newborn son, is he not also praying for another infant to pass for donation? how is the grateful father of three healthy sons supposed to feel about this?

thoughts?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I guess, in theory, an infant could pass for other reasons and leave a healthy heart behind (?). You pray that the generosity of organ donation allows that heart to help someone else.

Ugh. I can't imagine.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What a powerful final line to that column.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He answered that in the column.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy cow, what a column. Hope and pray a miracle did happen.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Jay--
    Sorry for not responding earlier. George e-mailed me Sunday night he was in LA but wishing he was in Little Rock. If there was any update or news, his plan is to get on the next flight out.
    I'm thinking it may have been a situation where there wasn't much else to be done, so as a family they decided he might as well go back to work until something new comes along. I could only imagine how tough it must be to go through the routine that family has been through in recent weeks. But being away from family at a time like this has got to be emotionally difficult as well, to say the least.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't personally know George, but I e-mailed him about an hour ago and he responded:

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

all i can offer are prayers and :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted