1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George O'Leary at it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If this doesn't get him fired, he's officially untouchable:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/29/george-oleary-university-of-central-florida-paul-ferraro-lawsuit/16453921/

Yeah, I know lying on his resume cost him the Notre Dame job. But when you add this to the Ereck Plancher incident in 2008, it seems lying isn't nearly O'Leary's worst attribute.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gotta take this with the grain of salt it deserves, though. Ferraro was fired, and he has an axe to grind.

If -- and it is a big if -- O'Leary ever said those kinds of things, he is a dumb MF. On the face of it, I find it unbelievable -- "check their gums?"

If it is true, it wouldn't be the first time I was surprised by someone being that dumb.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can't find a link but I believe there was a story of sorts before a Super Bowl (?) in which the underlying theme is that to be a great NFL QB you must have a great jawbone structure a la Tom Brady and many other examples.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On the other hand, it's tough to believe this is stuff that someone would make up out of whole cloth.

None of this was in Gary Smith's feature, that I can recall. None of the 50 people he talks to must have revealed this side of O'Leary.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jimmy the Greek says hi.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into specifics but I have a friend that has coached with George. While he never mentioned anything racial what he did mention was not pretty to say the least.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There have been a few times in my life when I've been startled by racism. A few years out of college, when I was covering preps in my hometown, I saddled up to the bar after the Friday night lights next to my (drunk) former high school baseball coach. He was the AD at the school at that point, and a really stoic, tight-lipped guy. I think we were talking about Kenny Williams and the job he was doing with the White Sox early in his tenure. My coach says, matter-of-fact as can be, "People didn't like it, but I think that Al Campanis had it right. They just don't have the essentials to do that job."

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what's harder to believe; that someone would say/think that, or that someone would make up such a specific, false claim.

One of them is a despicable person. I'm just not sure which one it is. (And, I'm prepared to believe they both are.)

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Had forgotten Smith had written one of his falsely glowing Hollywood productions about this POS.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Guy's a real life Bud Kilmer.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Appalling but not surprising. O'Leary grew up in an era / area that spawned many NYC
    cops and firemen. Irish welfare at it's finest. It's how they talked and I'm not
    sure they even realized how stupid it sounded. Think Archie Bunker.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Those colored crowds and all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXHx-QuYbk

Draft saved Draft deleted