1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Michael's Sports Machine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 17, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't get the idea George was counting down to retirement. He looked like he thought it was still 1988 and people still waited up til 12:30 to catch a syndicated sports highlight show. It's like he's in his own version of The Brady Bunch Movie: Everything around him has modernized and he's still functioning the same as he was years and years ago.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Christine Taylor was major hot, and Gary Cole had that role down cold.

BTW, BYH, how's that mental picture coming along. :eek:

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mental picture? Oh THAT mental picture. Paralyzed by fear, thanks! :-X

Good call on Taylor and Cole. They made it a surrealistically entertaining movie.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

George must know he's on borrowed time, or he wouldn't share the spotlight with the babe.

5. dooley_womack1

I wonder if he goes Bob Barker on her.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I start my cable sports network, I'm going to air "Halls of Fame," "The Tim McCarver Show" and "George Michael's Sports Machine" consecutively from like 4-5:30 am. I'll call it The Cure For Insomnia Block.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Gary Cole rocks. He was an excellent villain in that CBS show written by Shaun Cassidy.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was that the show that got cancelled after, like, one airing? American Gothic?

9. I would think the Michael show serves a purpose for people who don't have cable TV. But it is rather dated-looking.

10. dooley_womack1

The "people who don't have cable" may be the same cohort as "people who passionately read newspapers."

And it is American Gothic.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, that was the name. I think a few of them aired, but then it started getting surreal, and that was the end of that.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

The show would be fine--ok, not fine, but less laughable--if he and his co-host didn't punch the play button every time they aired a highlight. How much more '80s can you get?

Edit: Dye, didn't Cassidy also produce a show that never aired?

Draft saved Draft deleted