1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Michael Sports Machine Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

No, I watched the Sports Machine right up there til the end as well. Never understood how he kept that thing going even in the age of the Sportscenter nightly wrap-up. Sunday nights will never be the same.

RIP.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He was a Father Figure to so many of us seeking to go into sports journalism. His show was enjoyable because the bigwigs behind it had the Faith in him to allow a lot of Freedom in how the show was done.

I used to watch it every Sunday night, 11:45 p.m. on local NBC affiliate. Didn't the show get canceled because he refused to can the staff?

RIP, George Michael.

3. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I still remember him calling Maureen's replacement on the WRC desk, whose name escapes me right now, an 'ice queen'...on air.
    The look on her face? Priceless.

You just don't get that kind of anchor banter in your local TV broadcast these days.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Redskins Report was a great show. It was often a circus with Jurgensen, Wilbon and Riggins -- but none of them was crazier on the show than Michael himself. He always made it seem like they were having a great time.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Running right into St. Peter's living room. RIP.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Great tributes on WRC in D.C. tonight. I grew up with George Michael, so it's been a pretty sad day.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I once had a boss who was PD at Michael's station in DC. He had a handful of stories about what a jerk he was...there's a story behind the fake button that involves a massive union check either made out to Michael or made out to the union because Michael insisted on using it. I can't remember the details, maybe someone around here with more knowledge of the DC broadcasting scene can fill us in.

Draft saved Draft deleted