1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Michael Sports Machine Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

In other words headdy, my dealings with him were strictly short like hi and bye type of stuff. He didn't give me any problems and that's pretty much it on my end. And Merry Christmas to you too. Hope Santa gives you everything you are looking for under your tree.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

RIP, Mr. Michael.

Remember you from my suburban D.C. childhood/adolescence/whatever followed, and you had a zest for your job. You liked your job. You were a D.C. icon.

Check that.

Still are.

Sad to see cancer claim yet another victim. Condolences to the family.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Remember his show for the terrier race highlights. Definitely a pioneer. R.I.P.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I started watching the Sports Machine when I was in 5th grade here in Iowa. I would sneak downstairs after my parents would turn in for the night in their bedroom, head into the den, and flip on the TV to see George and that big board with the big buttons.

Mr. Tony, Wilbon, and Sonny were on ESPN 980 today and they said without fail that George may have been tough to work with, but he worked hard at his craft to be the best. David Aldridge pointed out that George did soften up a bit after Glenn Brenner died.

There's no way that I can speak on how special those times were in DC with Glenn, Gordon, Maureen Bunyan, Vance, Bob Ryan, Arch Campbell, and George. Those who live out there can speak on it better than anyone.

I'm going to miss George.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Here's a question: How successful was he financially, considering he had a show in syndication? Or did Channel 4 collect all the paychecks from that show?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think I was the last person to watch the Sports Machine. He was inevitably the only thing on at 12:30 am on a Sunday night on the hotel TV. It was oddly comforting to watch him just like I did when I was 14.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

D.C. Sports Bog is must reading today for anyone who admired or wants to learn about GM.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The 1993 plays of the year. My favorite show every year.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

RIP. A good bud went to work with him and loved it. Got to do some incredible stuff, learned a lot, had fun. The man is/was indeed a legend.
    And, yeah, on the ego. Big ego. Real big ego. I don't say that necessarily as a negative. Sometimes that ego helps you get places.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched the Sports Machine, never quite understood who he was or why he owned late Sunday nights.

Curiously, he also did radio play-by-play for the NY Islanders when I was a kid, before Barry Landers took over for him. I didn't listen much on the radio, but remember him doing those games, as young as I was.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm sure there will be a moment of silence at the next rodeo clown convention.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, huge ego, from people I knew who worked there.

TV ego, as long as its not abusive, is normal. (I still have one even my recent 'slide' in this business).

In the handful of times I had contact with him, he was appreciative and gracious -- maybe it was because I 'spoke his language' (as a fellow TV sports guy).

Draft saved Draft deleted