1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Michael Sports Machine Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Reverse this.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

RIP to the innovator.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another icon of my youth. After Jim Hilll and/or Fred Rogan and/or Scott St. James -- all the L.A. sportscasters -- did their Sunday night wrap-ups, I stayed up and watched the ol' Sports Machine with George.

See ya again one day soon, George. Keep the Machine rockin'.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

OK, so it's the guy and not the show that just died, right? Because the show's been dead for a while and I passed this thinking lol, d_b when I said what the fuck and clicked on it, and in actuality it was the man himself that was dead. So maybe a rewrite on the hed?

In deference to his iconic stature, I will forgo the "George Michael Sports Machine IS Dead" Simpsons joke. Except for that one.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I watched the show every Sunday night in college.
    RIP.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Sports Machine was the one thing I was allowed to stay up late on a school night for. The plays of the month and plays of the year were must-see TV for my whole family.

RIP George.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Right with you on when George Michael's career began.He was a nice guy and didn't have an ego. RIP.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Didn't have an ego? I guess you gleaned that by watching TV. But the people I knew who used to work for him would tell you quite differently. In fact, some people found him quite difficult to work with.

That said, he made it work as well as anyone. And some of the people who did work with him behind the scenes learned lots and have gone on to do some great things in the TV business. He was an innovator for sure, and damn good at what he did.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Sports Machine was a staple of DC television in the 80s - it made DC sports into entertainment, even if you had to stay up late on a school night. George Michael, Warner Wolf and Glenn Brenner took the edge off newscasts in DC.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

You gleaned wrong headbutt. I didn't have a problem with him. I know he could be a prick to some, but in the few dealings that I had with him, he was OK.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine did an internship at the Machine and said George could be a terror, especially in the moments before a broadcast. I don't think the words "no ego" applied, either. But still a legend.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In other words you again don't really know what you're talking about. But Merry Christmas anyway!

Draft saved Draft deleted