1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Michael: It doesn't only happen in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You bring us viewers, but show me the money!

You are theweakestlink. Goodbye! </Queen of Mean>

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You gotta have faith.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I always thought Washington was Redskins Town and you didn't mess with the 'Skins or anything associated with it.
    For a local station to end one of its most popular features seems like a move that just means fewer viewers and hastens the slow death of local broadcasting — an industry more in trouble than local newspapers.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jay,

I'm not sure local broadcasting is in trouble -- but I believe local sports sure is.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I could see a handful of decent-sized markets have a station give up on local news. One station here, a CBS affiliate, routinely gets its clock cleaned by all the other news shows in every slot except noon (and Drew Carey's doing his damndest to erode even that advantage). At 5 and 6 it loses to Judge Judy and some other god-forsaken judge show. I could see them one day wondering why they're throwing good money in after bad and shuttering the newsroom, which would suck from a news perspective but probably make sense from a money one.

7. Back in the '80s George would always run professional wrestling highlilghts at the end of his segment during the 6 o'clock news on Tuesdays. It used to piss off lead anchor Jim Vance, though the two had the kind of rapport on screen you don't see enough of these days.

I was always a Glen Brenner fan in DC growing up, but you had to love Michael's enthusiam, even if I started to cringe in the late-90s when I'd see him pressing the big button on the Sports Machine, as if he never figured out that SportsCenter had made TSM obsolete.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

There's no local news on the CBC o-and-O in Detroit, nor on the ABC affiliate in St. Louis. And there hasn't been for years.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

WRC is an NBC owned and operated. Because of financial problems at the mothership, it's been cutting staff for over a year now. It was the king of TV stations here in DC and now it isn't, and won't be. The people viewers have gotten familiar with over time keep leaving and GE is paying for it.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This sucks. In my travels when I've been able to see DC news, WRC has kicked ass thanks to Vance and Gentzler. Like they said, what have you done for me lately?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wow, George Michael is 69. I remember when he was a DJ on WABC.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the Sports Machine on an out-of-town trip a few years ago (I think it was in NOLA) and seeing the Sports Machine was still being syndicated on Sunday nights to some markets. Everything was the same as it was in the 1980s, right down to the bumper music and onscreen graphics. Kinda freaky, really.

Draft saved Draft deleted