1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George McGovern: "Impeach Bush/Cheney Right Now"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lyman, take this for the compliment it is: you are one of the few smart ultra right-wingers to walk the planet.

2. SigR

SigR Member

Just meant that he did more to expand federal goverment than any other president. Any goverment beyond a few basic functions is too much government. We're still stuck with derivative New Deal programs, social security, and other big-government/welfare state consequences of the FDR regime. He didn't have much reverence for the Constitution either and tried repeatedly to expand the powers of the executive branch.

I think the biggest indicment that could be made against FDR was his decision to imprison Americans because of their cultural heritage. Really shows you how much he thought of the American way of life and the Bill of Rights.

3. Tom, I wouldn't call myself an "ultra right-winger" (I believe in evolution and don't believe in term limits, for two examples), but thanks ... I think. :)

4. Would a surgical strike against OBL in Pakistan even be feasible? Or would an invasion and occupation of the northern provinces be necessary? I don't know the answer to that.

I have my issues with Bush (fiscal discipline foremost among them), but the "If he says it's green, I say it's red" reactions often become petty (no, not Tom) and childish.

5. You must be a libertarian. A lot of people would say what FDR did was appropriate for that era, both as a means to pull the country out of the Great Depression and as a means to provide security during World War II. I don't know if I agree with all that, but I will say I've never heard the "FDR as Constitution-shredder" argument before. Food for thought, I guess.

Anyway, in regard to the current situation, going on hunches and feelings isn't going to get it done.

6. Truth hurts, dude. :) (Nice avatar, BTW.)

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

His attempts to pack the Supreme Court when the Court was invoking the 10th Amendment and the Constitution to strike down a lot of New Deal programs was a bit shady, and the Congress (and the nation) called him on it.

However, after the court-packing scheme, the Court suddenly started upholding programs that it had previously found to be unconstitutional.

Much of the New Deal (and the Great Society, and the Patriot Act) pretty much takes the 9th and 10th Amendments and tosses them out the window, by nationalizing basic government functions that should be performed by the states. There are 17 basic powers the federal government has. The New Deal set a tone for government that nationalized a LOT of things far beyond those 17 basic enumerated powers, and administrations since -- GOP and Dem -- have continued to follow in FDR's footsteps in that way.

8. Yes, and the same could have been said of Mr. Nixon on June 15, 1972.
    That is why we have impeachment hearings and investigations. And, not for nothing, but John Dean's right -- the president has openly admitted violating the FISA law on (at least) 14 different occasions regarding illegal warrantless wiretapping. He's also desperate to immunize the telcoms who are accessories before and after the fact. if there's no crime, why do they need immunity?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The take on FDR is fascinating. I think it is astoundingly wrong, but I am curious to hear what government should do as opposed to what they are doing now.
    Can't impeach a president in wartime. The political fallout would be tremendous, but I do think hearings would be a good idea. People need to know what has happened to their country during Bush's terms in office.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lyman, were you a supporter of the impeachment efforts against Bill Clinton? And if so, can you please detail how what Clinton supposedly did is an equal to or greater than what Bush is being accused of?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think "putting the Constitution is chaos" is actually a requirement for impeachment.

How about putting it through the shredder?

12. Lying under oath in front of a grand jury is a crime, no?

If it isn't, we should stop any prosecutions of Barry Bonds and Marion Jones immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted