1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Lucas really is determined to CGI over his own accidental brilliance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Roger Ebert tweeted about a year ago that after watching the Plinkett review of Revenge of the Sith, he completely regreted the positive review he gave the film. It's such a point-by-point deconstruction, I really don't believe people can watch it and say "Oh, well Revenge of the Sith actually holds up. It's probably better than Jedi, even."

No. It's not even close. Revenge of the Sith is just marginally better than the other two terrible films. It's still truly, truly terrible.

My favorite part is the shot/reverse shot stuff. You really see just how lazy Lucas is/was.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My trajectory with it was very much the same as Ebert's then, though I don't know how fair it is to a movie to only decide I didn't like it after watching a two-hour scene-by-scene take down. I saw it in theaters and on DVD a few times and came away thinking I liked it after each. Only after the destruction did I decide it sucked.

Anyway, one thing that stuck with me was how cool it all SHOULD have been. Kenobi told us some about Annkian in Star Wars, and the Annikan we ended up meeting was nothing like what he should have been. We never felt Kenobi and Annikan grow to be friends, which is the fault of shoddy directing and script writing. We never saw any of the traits Kenobi said Annikan had. We didn't see someone great "seduced" by the Dark Side, which is the fault of shoddy plot. We saw a pissed off teenager flee there for reasons that don't really make sense.

I don't care if it's stupid to wish someone could remake Lucas' movies. I wish they could. Stylistically and thematically, the prequels the original three movie set up are something that SHOULD have been awesome. The pieces were there very different movies.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't get that at all. If you liked the movie, you liked the movie. The 2-hour review? Sounds like the guy needs to get a life, or at least learn to make his point more efficiently.

Should all three of the prequels have been better? No question. I have issues with all of them, but at least I made it through them. I tried watching those reviews a couple of times. They bored the shit out of me.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

Ebert must have had his balls removed along with his jaw. If you wrote a review, own it. Don't fold your tents because some hipster dweeb puts out some pissy video BLOG!!!! three years later picking it apart piece by microscopic piece.

BTW, the originals weren't exactly Citizen Kane, either. Remember, we're talking about the Ewoks.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Exactly. Ebert's review of Phantom Menace was glowing. He later backpedaled from that one.

His review of Fellowship of the Ring was not so positive. Another one he later backed down from.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Roger Ebert wants Dwight Evans' HOF candidacy reopened.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

All three prequels could have been improved in post-production. Lucas employs an army of servile flatterers and does not accept criticism.

Any test audience could have told him Jar Jar was a lame character and wasn't going to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted