1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Jones is my new hero ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Another great George story, which he admitted to in his autobiography:

He was convinced that Tammy and Porter Wagoner were having an affair, so he followed Porter into the men's room at the Opry. Blitzed out of his tree, he came up behind Porter at the urinal, reached around him and grabbed his dick and shouted, "I want to see what Tammy is so interested in!" He twisted the shit out of Porter's tallywhacker, with the result that Porter pissed all over himself and had to change clothes before he could go back on stage.

Naturally, Tammy and Porter were not in fact having an affair.

Still doesn't change the fact that George Jones is the greatest country singer who ever lived, greater even than Hank and Lefty.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Sinatra called the ol' Possum "the second greatest American male singer" or something approximating that.

3. No mention of the night Tammy hid his keys so George drove the riding mower to the liquor store?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't that a line from a Vince Gill song?

One More Last Chance

First she hid my glasses
    'Cause she knows that I can't see
    She said you ain't goin' nowhere boy
    'Til you spend a little time with me
    Then the boys called from the honky tonk
    Said there's a party goin' on down here
    Well she might've took my car keys
    But she forgot about my old John Deere

5. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

My favorite George Jones story: He was the presenter for the Entertainer of the Year award at the 1975 Country Music Awards. Seeing that it was John Denver, he took out a lighter and set fire to the envelope.

6. Rod Farva would disagree:

"Well let me tell you another funny story, "New Jack." Back in '74 the great Charlie Rich was named Country Musician of the Year. Then in '75, he had to hand the award off to the new winner. And you know who that was? Mr. Sunshine-on-my Goddamn-Shoulders John Denver. Yeah! Can you believe it? Replaced by John fucking Denver. Yeah. Well I'll be damaged if Mr. Rich didn't pull out his cigarette lighter right there and light that award on fire in front of everyone ... You get it?"

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That song was owned by my uncle, who founded Tree Publishing Company. Before he died, he owned many of the greatest country songs ever recorded (and his company has grown to become Sony/Tree/ATV, which "owns" all the Beatles and all of Michael Jackson's work, as well as most music used in video games, but I digress) and my uncle always said that it was the perfect song. It's written by Bobby Braddock (and Curly Puttnam) and I could make a pretty good argument that Bobby Braddock is the greatest American songwriter of the past 100 years.

More on Braddock, although this doesn't really do him justice...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Braddock

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The melody is still almost identical to Kristofferson's song.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, imagine having George Jones is one neighbor, and Pac-Man Jones as the other.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Do you all know how upsetting it is to just not get what anyone else on this site EVER gets? Like everything that's beloved makes no sense to you, it just sound slow and out of tune and ... well ... crappy?

It's not fun.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Why do you hate Americana, IJAG?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

The lyric came from the real-life experience. Vince even got George and his mower to appear in the video.

Was your uncle Jack Stapp or Buddy Killen? Either way, he'd have been a bottomless well of stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted