1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Jones is my new hero ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bored in my hotel room (but not drinking lest I start another thread ), I'm watching CMT's surprisingly good Country Music's Greatest Myths, Rumors and Lies.

I've always kind of liked George Jones, because he's the archetype of the drunk wing of country music, with the world weary woe-is-me lyrics. And he's got that great country voice.

But now? George Jones is a full blown God.

In this special I have learned ...

• Jones once thought (and admitted on the show) that he thought he was a duck -- to the point where he did a whole concert in a duck voice. He also had an old man in his head, and his then-wife (not the equally oddball Tammy Wynette) had enough and told Jones to have the duck and old man fight to the death, and that was the end of his split personality.
    • This one's apparently famous, though I had never heard it, is that he drove a riding lawnmower to the liquor store when all his cars were gone.
    • He was pissed at Buck Owens for not giving him the night slot in a combined tour, so he sang Buck Owens entire set before Owens went on stage.
    • He literally stole Tammy Wynette from a friend during a dinner when his buddy was being abusive towards Wynette, who was married to Jones' buddy at the time. Jones flipped over a table, told Wynette he loved her (even though he barely knew her) and walked out with her. Jones said on the show his buddy wasn't that mad and was "cool with it".
    • He also tried to bitch-slap Jimmy Dean in a country-style Coke-Pepsi sausage war ... he lost.

George Jones fucking rules.

2. joe

joe Active Member

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of the saddest songs ever, building slowly to that crushing climax. He's a hall of famer for that song alone.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

In the studio, Jones was reluctant to record it. He thought it sounded like a rip-off Kris Kristofferson's "Help Me Make It Through the Night" , so he made a few changes. Today, it's regarded by many as the modern greatest country song ever.

Nov. 2006 on Letterman:

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

That song is so sad it just tears at my heart.

BTW, ifilus, your avatar completely creeps me out.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A Good Year for the Roses ain't a bad song either.

I can't stand country music, but if you can't appreciate the simple genius of Johnny Cash and George Jones then you should stop listening to music.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

There was a story a few weeks back in the Tennessean about him and Pac-Man Jones having a property dispute or something. Well they worked it out and they're like butt buddies now.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" is a great song. "Out of Control" is great too, along with "Nothing Ever Hurt Me (Half as Bad as Losing You)"

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The Buck Owens story made me laugh out loud. That's funny stuff. I can picture Buck backstage seething.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

He stole the song "Beer Run" from Todd Snider, who had been singing his version of the song for years in concert before it showed up on Jones' album, along with guest singer Garth Brooks.

At the end of Snider's song, he growls something along the lines of, "Take that, Possum" under his breath.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved "The Race Is On" too.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Y'all,

Saw him years back. Somnambulant (not one freakin' word between songs, didn't even let on that there was anyone in the house, seemingly narcotized). Amazing pipes. He's not a man, just an instrument that plays itself.

YHS, etc

12. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I absolutely love "He stopped loving her today." It's my all-time favorite country song. Those were some pretty funny stories. Did they address his "No-show Jones" nickname?

Draft saved Draft deleted