1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Carlin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 7, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's the first time I heard them too.

Just saying that "fuck" and "motherfucker" are redundant. I thought the same thing when I was 14 and saw it the first time. He could've thrown in an "eighth" dirty word.

Booger? ;D

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw him twice at Bally's in Vegas. Both times he literally read from a script because he said he was trying to memorize his act for his next HBO special. Turned me off big time. Practice on your own time, not when I'm paying $50 or whatever it was to watch your act.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The fact that he's playing Vegas shows how little the guy gives a shit anymore. He was interviewed by Jon Stewart in 1997 and said he'd never play Vegas because a lot of people go to see acts when they're there that dont care about the act. "We can go gamble, go look for hookers...or go see Carlin." He said he liked going onthe road because he knew the entire room was full of people that were Carlin fans.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost track of how many times I've seen Carlin live... It's probably close to 30... He's been off his game once and that was right before the last time he went into rehab.

If Richard Pryor is the best ever, Carlin is a close second...

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I saw him live once with my father at a local opera house. He did rather well. I laugh very hard when I listen to him.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Or he could be in his late 60s and not feel like spending the entire year traveling...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The original "seven words you can't say on television" is from Carlin's Occupation Foole" album released in 1973

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

True, plus I think there's part of George that says, "Ya know what? Fuck it. I've been rebelling against the system since the 1960s. They know where I stand. I'm just gonna cash every check that I can from now on. I've earned it. What? You want me to play the voice of a talking van in a Pixar film? Gimme a contract? Vegas for six weeks? Yeah, what the hell..."

I'd do the same thing.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

....is a legend. But not the greatest ever.

10. C'mon Chuck. You can't just leave it at that. Who gets your vote?

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Weird Al?

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Same thing happened to me at Stardust. He told the crowd he was prepping for an HBO special, but he was pretty much polished. He botched just one joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted