1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Bush -- Tower of Empathy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 9, 2007.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He gets irony. He uses it to press his pants.

2. Yes, alley.
    Be cause that is the duty of every American citizen.
    This is really a pathetic performance this morning by RSC, who is usually better than this.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If he's better than this, I've seen no real evidence.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Honestly, he usually is.

Not today, however.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RedSmith isn't just trolling, it's the standard response when Bush is being called on something for which he screwed up royally.

For Katrina it's: The Libs are blaming George Bush for the hurricane.
    Instead of acknowledging the administrations poor response to the victimes.

For Tillman it's: What's he supposed to say? Damned if he does, damned if he don't.
    Instead of asking why the administration didn't immediately investigate this obviously bogus story and quickly ask for the heads of lying generals.

Etc. etc. etc.

6. Looks like someone's got a case of the Hateritis.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Thanks to all. I really appreciate that you spent a solid portion of this post discussing my worth to the board and the world.

Really, it means the world to me.

But I am serious when I think this president, who I am not the biggest fan of as of the last year and a half or so, gets bitch slapped for every little thing that happens in this country and the world. I won't lie. Shit I voted for the guy twice. With who he ws facing I'd vote for him again. That is unless the Al Gore of today was running back then.

I'm not going to apologize for believing in the War on Terror, which I believe does have a link to Iraq. And I will not apologize for believing the man that I sat down with for over a few hours while visiting New Hampshire prior to both elections that he won is the devil risin' from the fires of hell. This is all I say and I'm sure I will get grief from the great AlleyAllen.

But either way, God Bless!

8. He's not the devil.
    He's neither smart nor competent enough to be the devil.
    I am sorry that you think the "war on terror" -- trademark, 2001 -- has a link to Iraq. I am not surprised, though, since the government of the United States has pushed that line for seven years now.
    As to the rest, well, sort it out.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He's an untie-r, not a diviner.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

These letters in The New York Times underscore the gap between Bush (and his father) and any empathy for anyone not in their elite world:

August 11, 2007
    Bush 41 and 43, and the Rest of Us (4 Letters)

To the Editor:

Re “First Father: Tough Times on Sidelines” (front page, Aug. 9):

It doesn’t take a cold-hearted person to have less sympathy for former President Bush’s hurt feelings than for the victims of his son’s policies.

I worry more about the next generation of Americans, who will have to pay off the federal debt this president has piled up by giving unneeded tax cuts and tax breaks to America’s wealthiest, than I worry about Father Bush’s “pain” at hearing his son criticized.

Both Presidents Bush will never have to worry about being able to afford their health care or find a way to support their families on a minimum-wage job that includes no benefits.

My heart also goes out to the American military people and the families who lost loved ones in a war that should never have happened, and wouldn’t have been authorized if President Bush had told the American people the truth.

My heart also goes out to the Iraqi people whose lives we have destroyed in a misbegotten war that was started under false assumptions and false pretenses and then waged with colossal incompetence by President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld.

Don’t cry for the Bushes, father and son; cry for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, for whom federal help never came.

I’ll save my tears for those who truly suffer in this world. The rich and powerful can take care of themselves.

Lois Erwin
    Waldwick, N.J., Aug. 9, 2007

•

To the Editor:

It is a further demonstration of the elder Bush’s utter inability to empathize with, or understand the concerns of, ordinary Americans if indeed “he likens himself to a Little League father whose kid is having a rough game.”

The last time I checked, no matter how poorly a young boy or girl may play, his or her ineptitude does not result in the deaths of thousands of Americans halfway across the world, the squandering of our nation’s good name or the loss of so many cherished liberties.

Mistakes on the playing field do not take the work of a generation to undo. The former president should be ashamed for using this analogy.

Rob Greenfield
    Brooklyn, Aug. 9, 2007

•

To the Editor:

The tiniest of violins are playing for Bush 41, as he “finds it tough to watch his son get criticized from the sidelines.”

Perhaps I’d have a little more sympathy if he instead found it tough to watch what his son’s done to our country. But that’s the Bush philosophy for you: the only things that matter are you and your own.

Stephen S. Power
    Maplewood, N.J., Aug. 9, 2007

•

To the Editor:

Reference is made to the other presidential père-fils relationship of John Adams and John Quincy Adams.

John Adams clearly had a positive effect on his son’s moral judgment: the two Adamses were the only presidents not to own slaves in the first half-century of the country’s existence, and following a failed presidency, John Quincy Adams spent 17 years in the House of Representatives working tirelessly for slavery’s abolition. Few contest that he is one of our greatest ex-presidents.

Perhaps George W. Bush can use his father’s important humanitarian work on the tsunami in Asia to act as an inspiration for his post-presidential efforts, and help overcome his own dismal legacy.

Leonard Benardo
    Jennifer Weiss
    Brooklyn, Aug. 9, 2007

The writers are finishing a book about the lives of former United States presidents.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, you're the one that could use a cup of STFU.
    Please stop. You're a buffoon.

12. Nice chatting with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted