1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gentry Estes leaving Mobile Press-Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, Aug 24, 2010.

1. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Here's his facebook post:

Some big news to pass along: After three years in Tuscaloosa, Angie and I will be moving back to Athens. I've accepted a job as the team writer for Dawgs247.com, Georgia's new site in the 247sports network. We're both thrilled to be returning to UGA, and though it saddens me to be leaving newspapers at this point, I'm very excited about the new opportunity. See you at Sanford Stadium on Sept. 4.
  2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Here's his post on the new site:

3. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

That may shake up some things in Advance's Alabama empire since he's the Alabama beat writer for two papers.

Congrats to Gentry and best wishes.
  4. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm very happy for Gentry, one of my favorite folks in the biz.

Plus trading Lord Saban and the SID folks at Bama for Richt and UGA's phenomenal SID staff is win-win.
  5. He's actually covering for three papers now -- Mobile, B'ham and Huntsville -- as part of the Newhouse bureau with Don Kausler.

Gentry is a phenomenal reporter who will be tough to replace.
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... especially serving three papers
  7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

I echo what many others have said, and even more think, and Gentry's skills on the Alabama beat. He quickly became the hack to watch in that media room, and will surely be missed by the readers.

Heaven help Randy Kennedy and the shitstorm of resumes he is about to get!

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gentry's one of my closest friends in the business, but I'm mildly surprised this is getting its own thread.

But anyway, the Advance papers aren't exactly in the lurch with this. Kausler can handle the beat just fine, and they can always run Doug Segrest, Mark McCarter or Mike Herndon to T-town to fill in til they get a new guy in place (which won't be long).

As for Gentry, I've never worked alongside anyone who worked any harder to chase and break news. You quite simply cannot rest if you're his competition (because he never does).

But as someone who has done it, I can tell you that covering Alabama with its access restrictions wears on you after a while. And it's gotten even worse since they started winning big again.

Gentry made a great, smart quality-of-life decision, and I applaud him for it.
  9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Huge shoes to fill. Good luck to Gentry.

Trust me on this: Mobile (or more correctly, Advance) is moving quickly to get this filled. I know for a fact they've already compiled names of potential candidates, even though the job to my knowledge hasn't been posted anywhere.

My suggestion to whoever lands this gig: Make sure to call Saban "Nick" on your first day on the beat. You'll endear yourself to the Bama Nation.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm going with "Nicholas."
  11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Gentry Estes is a tireless, obsessive, dogged, exceptional reporter with great news instincts. He's been busting his ass in Tuscaloosa literally since the day he got there. While trying to unload a moving truck he was also chasing down info on an Alabama player who had been arrested and did a pretty damn good job getting up on the story. From everything I've heard this will be a great move for him.

Good luck and condolences to the person chosen to replace him. Don't take less than top dollar for this job. Think of the highest salary you might fathom demanding and add 20%. If you do the job right the company will still be getting more than it's money's worth out of you.
  12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Gentry's a good writer and a good dude, too. His wife is also one very intelligent young lady.
    Best wishes to the Esteses (boy, is that copy desk headache right there).
Draft saved Draft deleted