1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genius Is Misunderstood.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 14, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Simmons strikes me more as Beaker (not the SJ poster of same name).

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is Larry Bird/Bill Belichick/Tom Brady in the role of Bunsen Honeydew?

On the one hand, I understand the reaction that hey, ESPN isn't letting him do what they said they would (and based on his remarks and his column, can there be any doubt this has something to do with his ability to criticize the WWL?). And he might have a right to be pissed. In that case, speak to a blog; you've got a lucrative contract. Challenge them to buy you out, if it makes you happy.

But on the other hand: He has a contract. His bosses aren't too happy with something he wants to write. Well, they're his BOSSES. He has no call to act like a little bitchboy and say, "I'm writing less, and that is my choice!" Yeah? You choose to dishonor your contract and screw your readers - because that "blog" certainly doesn't serve anything but his desire to advertise - out of reading your stuff?

Well, fuck you too, Simmons. No one likes the guy who tanks his job and acts unprofessional becaue "Waah waaah, I'm unhappy!" Too damn bad. Collect your massive as hell paycheck, and buck up like a man. You didn't get eerything you wanted. Boo hoo. Talent level and work ethic (and apparently, lack of ability to work with others) dictate that you should attend church every day, twice a day, and thank God for where you are in life.

Pathetic little dorkboy.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good. Good. I can feel the hate flowing through you.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Does Simmons have much in the way of leverage? I mean, is any other Web site going to pay him the kind of money that ESPN does?

I'd doubt it, which means he probably shouldn't crap on his golden goose.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's not a brand on TV though. And sooner or later, that was going to bite him in the ass, as it has now.

Simmons knows why he got that big contract. I'm just not sure he knows how to deliver what ESPN wants. I'm not sure he can.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Why are we assuming this has exclusively to do with some criticism of Disney/ABC/ESPN he's not being allowed to write?

Here's the quote:

still love writing my column and only re-signed last year because I really did believe that we had hashed out all the behind the scenes bullshit and come to some sort of agreement on creative lines, media criticism rules, the promotion of the column and everything else on ESPN.com. Within a few months, all of those things changed and certain promises were not kept. It's as simple as that.

Why not "creative lines"? Or "promotion...?"

Maybe he just got some brown M&Ms in his dressing room goodie bowl.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Jmac, ESPN has all but bent over backward to promote Bill and make him a brand. He has his own subsite, which is constantly refered to on the Page 2 main page. And each of his columns is pimped pretty prominently on the ESPN.com main page. He now has podcasts, and they funded a Vegas trip for him for the E:60 show. I'm not sure what more he would want in those two areas.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That always pissed us off too.

[​IMG]

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great brown M and Ms reference, jgmacg and BYH . . . . .

As a worshipper of old Van Halen in my youth, I love that story. I guess they threw in "no brown M and Ms" in their tour rider to make sure the whole thing was being read, and thus that the stage specifications were followed. Then one night, the looked in the candy bowl . . . . .

Love that band, love the life that reference still has.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Guess where all the brown M&M's went?

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

DLR always has been and always will be a dickhead.

that is all.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Simmons today (5/15) posts on his blog a 15000 word feature that never ran anywhere.

http://sportsguy.blogspot.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted