1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Genie, you're free'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perhaps this should go on the running Robin Williams RIP thread/pissing match, but it seems to deserve its own thread.

After Williams died the other day, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences sent out a Tweet picturing his character from "Aladdin," with the caption, "Genie, you're free."

It was shared millions of times over, and, now, suicide prevention experts are starting to beginning to criticize - rightfully so, I believe - the sentiment. Basically, the Academy, in three words, presented suicide as a romantic, liberating option. Terrible move.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thought this as soon as I saw people posting it on Facebook.

That Williams died, and committed suicide is very sad. I understand people want to express sympathy, and work out their own grief.

But, this seems to almost affirm suicide as an option.

And, while I don't expect everyone on Facebook to understand this, the Academy should have.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Did this go out before or after it became public that his death was a suicide?

I think the publication of the details of his method of suicide are more dangerous for people considering killing themselves than what the Academy did.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that his death was almost immediately reported as a suicide. Maybe that wasn't the case.

Yes, the tweet was irresponsible. That's a tweet for someone who lost a bout with cancer.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I think Disney should have gone with: "Purgatory just got a lot funnier."

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The media has been romanticizing celebrity deaths for as long as celebrities have died.

This is no better or worse than any other instances.

7. RecoveringJournalist

There is a lot of danger in romanticizing the suicide of a celebrity.

8. MisterCreosote

More danger than romanticizing the death of a child molester? Or a drug addict? Or an alcoholic? Or a wife beater?

9. RecoveringJournalist

I didn't think Philip Seymour Hoffman or Heath Ledger's deaths were romanticized. I'm sure there were some who romanticized Michael Jackson's death, but I think there was enough "good riddance" sentiment to off-set that.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Heath Ledger's death essentially was chalked up to method acting by some.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/heath-ledgers-creepy-joker-diary-revealed

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a stretch to suggest that tweet presents suicide as a romantic, liberating option. Reads to me as if someone tried to express a sweet sentiment in the way grieving, well-meaning people often try to make sense or find some "silver lining" aspect to a tragic death of a loved one. And it apparently struck a favorable chord with the 320,000 people who retweeted it.

I have more of a problem with people latching on to it to make a political statement. If they genuinely believe that tweet could cause some kind of suicide contagion, they should just leave it alone and not draw any further attention to it. Now, shall we expect right-to-die advocacy groups to chime in next?

12. MisterCreosote

Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Amy Winehouse, Tupac, Elvis, River Phoenix, Jerry Garcia, Janis Joplin, Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson. Just off the top of my head.

All romanticized.

Draft saved Draft deleted