1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genetic boulliabase: Live at the Laundromat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 22, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Scary shit. My usual landromat, which has a bar and TVs around the joint, is closed because of a water pipe problem. My problem is, my laundry has to be done today. So, I loaded up the car and traveled about 5 miles deeper into the commonwealth of Kentucky (I live about 200 yards from the Ohio line). Jesus, the collection of humanity here would make Darwin shit his pants, then run screaming from the joint.
    Exhibit A: sixty-something year-old biker chick with bare midriff and daisy dukes... doing some pretty road-tested undies.
    Exhibit B: mother of at least five... who brought those five with her and can't figure out why they won't sit still. A real charmer who just yelled at the kids "Sit your fucking asses down or I'll kick your asses." Lovely.
    Exhibit C: dude who just went ape-shit, kicking a machine. John Deere hat, wifebeater tee, Jack Daniels zubaz. Missing at least a couple front teeth.

I will never put off laundry again.

What's the scariest genetic experiment y'all have ever visited?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

High school football at Matewan, W.Va.

Generic?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jack Daniel's Zubaz? I can't decide if that's cool or not. Seriously.

Scariest genetic experience for me? A junior hockey game in North Bay, Ont.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You have a bar at your laundromat?

Laundromats are wonderful places to see society's downtrodden. Often, you're sharing space with the local trailer-park's residents and meth addicts.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Suppose the 60-year-old woman in the daisy dukes is sitting on her message board right now posting about Killick?

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's daily life around here.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

That's why I drop my laundry off at the fluff-n-fold.

8. Killick

Biker chick: "Thers sum guy hear in the washbucket reedin' his sellfone!"

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Drop-off laundries are the shit. Anybody in the Anniston (Ala.) area should check out the Oxford Laundry Room. No dry cleaning, but they're hella good and they deliver.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

The one I go to is too expensive, but it's worth it to me to not have to waste several hours every 10 days or so at the laundromat. And the people are really nice.

I have a perfectly good stand-up washer-dryer in a storage unit in Athens, but my apartment doesn't have hook-ups. Which is very frustrating.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Damn solid.

I spent many years going to those places and hope to never darken the door of a laundromat again. I used to resent the hell out of having to give up half a day every week to do that shit. There is an advantage to being able to do it all at once, but at least at home I can do important things like watch The Simpsons while a load is running.

12. Killick

Yeah, my condo has coin-ops in the basement, but they don't work very well and I'm lazy. Live on the third floor. Hate going up and down all damned day.

I just got out of there. Another guy was there, clearly didn't belong. I sorta recognized him, finally ventured 'You usually go to Alpha?' (my usual joint) He said yes, I said 'me too.' At least I knew I wasn't alone, watching this freak show. The really scary thing is I bypassed other places because they looked worse than this place! I don't even want to think of the Goonies-esque creatures washing their duds there.

Draft saved Draft deleted