1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis reunites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Crimson Tide, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Never pictured you for The Killers.

I thought Marie Osmond was more your style. :p

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still do good stuff, but it fell off in overall quality after the first two albums, though.

The compilation album is very, very good ... only seriously missing track is "A Call To Arms." Then again, the writers for that one were some guys named Collins, Banks and Rutherford.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'd pay up to 40 dollars to see this reunion show.
    Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was always a cool song to me and yes, Duke and Abacab were part of my album collection during early 80s finishing of high school.
    I'd love to see a Police reunion, too.
    Bought a Widespread Panic CD today for $5.99, called Another Joyous Occasion.
    That's the sort of music my taste has evolved to in the past 25 years.
    Back in the early 80s I wasn't listening to the Dead at all. Now I do.
    But Genesis would be worth my while to see.
    I remember when Tony Thompson played double drums with Phil at Live Aid.
    They jammed.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's astounding to think how cool Phil Collins used to be, way cooler than Sting was on his coolest day. Brian Eno had Collins drum on a bunch of his early rock albums. He drummed on Gabriel's third album (the one with "Games Without Frontiers") and was instrumental (ha!) in creating the no-cymbal backbeat Gabriel wanted.

Plus "Easy Lover" (yeah it's credited to Phillip Bailey, but Collins co-wrote, co-produced, co-sang and totally drummed on it) is now the highlight song in the new "GTA" game commercial. Although that never struck me as a Song to Do Drive-Bys By.

5. Sam Mills 51

Collins did a lot for other artists, and they returned the favor - Sting, Peter Gabriel, Phillip Bailey - and Eric Clapton returned the favor with the lead guitar on "I Wish It Would Rain Down." Good stuff.

I couldn't believe a GTA ad would ever work with "Easy Lover," but it's starting to work with me. All you need to know about Collins' sense of humor was the video to that track, where he and Bailey are laughing at the '70s-era Earth, Wind & Fire costumes Bailey, Maurice White and friends wore for concert tours.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

And of course appearing in the video. What was Clapton's line when Jeffrey Tambor doesn't want Phil trying out? "He's done a little drumming" or something like that?

Say what you want about Phil being a complete sap these days, but he made some of the funniest and most original videos of the '80s. "Great! Great sandwich!" And the "Rain Down" video is one of my all-time favorites.

7. Sam Mills 51

Phil Collins was always gut-busting funny when the occasion allowed. Same with Mike Rutherford. Tony doesn't have that humor, at least overtly, but quietly goes with the flow. Hence the videos to "Land Of Confusion," "Jesus, He Knows Me," and "I Can't Dance." The last two were right along the group's humor line.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I always got a kick out of the Mike and the Mechanics video for "Taken In." Gentle but funny.

Rutherford to Richard Belzer: "That's an easy way to make a living."

9. Sam Mills 51

One of the underrated videos. Funny but heartwarming. How many other bands wouldn't have someone driven up the wall with children all over the place? The Pauls (Young and Carrack), Peter Van Hooke and Mike really seemed to get a kick out of the setting.

From what I've read and heard, that video and the scene with the child in "Living Years" is typical for Mike. Probably the type who volunteers to stay back and watch the kids while the others are out painting the town.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Paul Carrack is underrated as a vocalist. I have his greatest hits CD (Ace, solo stuff) and it's a fine piece of work.
    Now as for Genesis, my wife and I are big fans and hope they make a stop in our burg, it would be fun.

11. Sam Mills 51

I have a feeling they won't be very close to my little corner of the Earth. Oh well ... will have to save some scratch and trek out into the world. I've had the chance to see almost of my favorites except them.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't Shed A Tear is pretty much a perfect pop song.

He was a can't-miss journeyman in the '80s. Have him sing your song, hit the top 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted