1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis reunites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Crimson Tide, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Chester Thompson is alive and well. You are likely confusing him with Tony Thompson, the drummer for Chic and The Power Station who did, unfortunately, pass away.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He got better.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Saw the 3-man Genesis in 1980, when they were touring in support of the Duke album. Excellent show. Sadly, Abacab followed shortly thereafter, and Phil Collins lost his way.
    If they'd promise to do no music -- none -- that anybody in the band made after 1980, I'd go see them. Something tells me they'll play almost nothing from before 1980.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

EEEEET'S NO FUN BEEE-AHN AHN EEEEEEELEEEEGAL ALEEEE-AHN

Personally, I'd rather hear Jesus, He Knows Me.

5. A grateful nation rejoices.
    When do Mike and the Mechanics get back together?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's not that Collins lost his way. It's that after "Duke," with the success of his solo released, he started figuring out he was getting bigger than the band.

One of the funny undercurrents in the long history of Genesis is keyboard/synth wanker Tony Banks' belief he should the band's centerpiece, particularly as he watched Collins inexplicably (in his mind) take off as the center of fans' attention a few years after he became the lead singer. Remember that, first, Genesis auditioned something like 300 potential lead singers and picked Collins as a default, and second, Banks was responsible for making Genesis totally "his" after Collins left, with disastrous results.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, for a discount, you can see a group out of Quebec called The Musical Box, a tribute band that redoes shows from the late Peter Gabriel period (1972-75). I haven't seen them, but I've read many raves about them. And right now they're touring North America with separate shows dedicated to the Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound tours.

http://www.themusicalbox.net/tour.html

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Maybe no Peter Gabriel, but I read today that Boy George is thumbing his nose at Culture Club. Perhaps he could be a cham-cham-chamelion and morph into Peter Gabriel.

Either way, I'm not going to the concert. I didn't like them all that much in their prime. My guess is that most Genesis fans are 35-45. I'm probably a border-liner...at 33.

As it happens, K-Fede was on VH-1's weekly video countdown special last week and said that Genesis was one of his favorite bands. Then, when asked to name one of his favorite songs, he stuttered and blurted out some bastardized form of In the Air Tonight. Had they not been discussing Genesis, the host never would have drawn the parallel to what K-Fed called it and the name of the actual song. Brittany's divorce plans came out a few days later. I'm not sure that was a coincidence.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I saw that Selling England show a few years ago. Its like going back in a time machine. The music is note-for-note, like an orchestra respecting the music of Mozart, and the lead singer channels Gabriel right down to verbatim between-song speeches taken from bootlegs.
    The highlight is a perfect Supper's Ready, with three of them working 12-strings at one point.
    Definitely worth checking out if you liked Genesis from that period.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Genesis w/o Peter Gabriel is not Genesis

And I'll never spend $250 to listen to ANYONE. Heck, I wouldn't spend $100 to listen to ANYONE.

But my $29 tickets to The Killers was money well spent.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, BYH, I'm kinnnnda pleased. But while I'm a fan of all eras - I'll take what I can get - I do wish that Pete and Steve were also in this. According to some things I'd read, Steve was talking with them. Even if they could get only him and not Pete, it would be good. Their two albums as a four-man group - A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering - were easily two of their five best albums.

Bubbler, according to the AP story (I should know ... three people in the newsroom made sure I had seen it), Tony said they wanted to play plenty of the older music. I believe Tony, but am curious if there will be pressure to play most from their last two albums when PC was there (Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance).

HeinekenMan, I hope Federline was kidding. First of all, it's freaking K-Fed. Secondly, "In The Air Tonight" was PC solo. What was he going to try next ... "Living Years"? ::)

12. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

They get together for a new album and Euro tour every three to five years. They almost disbanded after Paul Young died, but Mike just gave all the singing over to Carrack.

Anyway, something tells me that this will lean more toward The Way We Walk tour of 92-93.

As far as age goes, I'm 25 (however, my wife swears I'm at least 32 in mind).

Draft saved Draft deleted