1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Generation X is sick of your bull----'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Oh my. Not sure who this person is, but he puts together quite a rant about why Generation X has had it worse than the so-called Millenials.

http://gizmodo.com/5851062/generation-x-is-sick-of-your-bullshit

This mirrors a lot of what we've discussed here. Does Generation X feel "too entitled" to certain things? Do Millenials?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He needs some cheese, a lot of cheese, with that.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When he goes through the litany of Generation X's "voices" and what happened to them, he neglected to point out that what happened to their voices (Cobain, Tupac, etc.) was largely self-induced.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That has nothing to do with the point.

And I think that Cobain's death was self-induced is arguable. I know it was a suicide, but mental illness is not a choice. Of course, perhaps he should have sought help.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a well-done piece, but I do think it's depressing to watch as our culture recedes in the background. I recall so vividly when Pearl Jam was topping the charts, "Singles" and "Clerks" were huge cult hits, and "Seinfeld" was tearing up the airwaves. Seems like yesterday.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Its parents were too busy fulfilling their own personal ambitions to notice any of its trophies-which were admittedly few and far between because they were only awarded for victories, not participation."

Bravo for that line alone.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Farmville is now the youth soccer-everyone gets a trophy activity of this generation.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I made it through about three paragraphs of that ... and I'm right in the middle of what one would consider a "Gen X'er", even though I despise the term.

Generational arguments are generally stupid as hell and self-centered. All of them.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Oh god, my generation is now Rage Against The Damn Kids On My Lawn

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It does represent quite a shift, because until now I was part of a generation that worshiped MTV, never walked to school and ruined America with its sloth as shown in the movie "Slacker."

Who knew that in reality we were the hard-working folks of yore?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At least we Boomers and Jonesers will be dead and won't have to suffer through the worst of it.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"Right now, Generation X just wants a beer and to be left alone."

I think this guy knows me.

Draft saved Draft deleted