1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation X: Check in here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

He didn't CLAIM that.

He confirmed it.

not that there's anything wrong with that. Wait, yes there is.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

So much for trying to give him benefit of the doubt.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You get jealous pretty easy, f_t.

But I promise, it didn't mean anything.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm doing well. Still cynical.
    Still had to pin down politically.
    Still sarcastic.
    No longer young.
    I still hate Baby Boomers.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm generationally confused. was born in 64 and some definitions have me as the last of the boomers while others put me among the first gen x'ers.

help.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are delusionally self-absorbed with a sense of entitlement bordering on the obscene?
    If you said yes, you might be a baby boomer.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

no sense of entitlement but if i did, i'd damn well deserve it.

8. accguy

accguy Member

Class of 89. 37. No kids.

I, like BYH, am starting to feel like an old man in this business. I'm not an f-ing stud, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I'm cynical or negative or what, but I am worried about my future in this business.

I look at some of the people older than me and I know they can survive until they retire. I look at some of the younger people and know that they don't have quite as many real world responsibilities in some cases. I'm in that ugly middle. I make enough at my current place that finding another gig that will pay that is tough. I don't feel close enough to the finish line to be confident I can make it.

I'll vote for Obama because I don't see a better alternative. That said, I don't love him.

In other words, I'm like a lot of the rest of you.

9. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Class of '90 checking in. Married, two kids.

I spent all of my college years and most of my 20s in full-on slacker mode. Gained about 75 pounds, mostly because of late-night bar food binges brought on by the munchies. When I was 25 I thought I'd be alone, childless and poor for the rest of my life. Went through the classic mid-20s crisis -- started applying for jobs around the world hoping to at least do something interesting, if not lucrative. Was seriously planning a move to the West Coast when I met Mrs. Runaway. At about that same time I stumbled into a full-time job and the rest is history.

Now I have a position of some authority and (hopefully) security, though in these dark times who really knows for sure. My kids are 6 and 3. The oldest has a mild form of autism. I have a house in the burbs and a happy life, though if the 24-year-old me looked 12 years into the future to see what I've become he probably would have laughed his ass off.

I'm much more liberal than I was in high school, where I was Young Republican all the way. But I've also become a lot more cynical. I don't think Obama will be able to deliver on half of what he promises, but I'm voting for him anyway because he beats the alternative by a mile.

Like many previous posters, I feel music reached a state of perfection around 1996 (Homer Simpson reference, anyone?), and 99 percent of what's out there today -- on mainstream radio, at least -- is crap. I'm fairly savvy from a technological standpoint, though I don't see the point of a lot of it (texting, twitter, myspace, etc).

I remember hating the GenX label when I was first saddled with it, because I didn't enjoy being painted with such a broad brush. But seeing all the similarities I have with the folks posting here, maybe those idiot Boomers were onto something.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm from an in-between generation.

At the absolute youngest end of Gen X, which I identify with in the cynical/progressive ways. I also identify with a lot of the Gen X culture. I think it's because my dad taught high school and so I always idolized the "big kids" who graduated in the 80s and early 90s.

At the absolute oldest end of Gen Y, I suffered through Helicopter Parents and am really comfortable with technology. I've also got a very short attention span, especially when consuming media.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I am a proud member of Generation X though I didn't embrace the slacker stereotype. Until now. I hate working because it's gotten me none of what my parents and their generation got (security, pension, retirement fund, etc.). Those same parents instilled a work ethic in me that will preclude any desire to become a bum but I'm constantly looking to the horizon.

While my sports editors for the most part have been top notch my higher managers have been grade-A shitheels. So I don't trust anyone in a position of authority anymore because I assume they get there by default, not by qualification.

My political leanings are leftward because they seem to be the ones who want to affect change. That said, Obama is falling apart like a straw man in a windstorm, a little at a time. And with Cynthia McKinney earning the Green Party nomination I feel even more disaffected. It doesn't help that I've always had a pretty wide cynical streak, that I can smell bullshit from a mile away and the world stinks to high heaven right now.

My iPod is frozen in 1996. Seether, Veruca Salt, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots -- all of that is in there. You can smell the patchouli oil and taste the Seattle java. However, I do not own a flannel shirt, a pair of Vans, a piercing or a tattoo.

I'm 34, not married, no kids and I prefer it that way. Twelve years ago when I graduated college I figured I'd be covering something big for a metro. Never made any goals with regard to being attached or starting a family. One out of two ain't bad.

For what it's worth I saw a documentary a while ago that established some boundaries for the generations. Baby boomers were born 1946-64 and Gen-X would be 1962-1980; generational sociologists say there are two years of overlap. My parents, oddly, aren't baby boomers; they were born in 1938 and 1941. So maybe I'm more of a 'tweener than I thought.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Cadet said everything I needed to say on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted