1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation Limbo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're expecting 17-year-olds to make the absolute correct decisions that will determine the entire course of their lives? And then you're confused about why that doesn't sometimes work out?

Not to mention, of course, that positions like guidance counselors, who once would have helped kids make these decisions, have been cut from the ranks of school budgets all across the country, thanks to people who insist that public education is nothing but a waste of money, especially when it deigns to pay someone who isn't in front of a blackboard 12 hours a day, teaching classes of 40 students at a time.

College graduates who've done everything right and still can't find jobs? Think of them as chickens, coming home to roost.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it even a major? I guess what I meant was philosophy and a hard science, with a pre-med curriculum. Pre-med isn't a major, but you do have to take certain classes to go to med school.

3. Dick Whitman

You're right. A lot of the blame rests with the adults in their lives. Including, once upon a time, mine. Would I have listened? I don't know. Probably about some things. Not about others. Presentation probably would have made a difference.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can do this instead of working at Starbucks.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/middle-east/road-trip-american-student-joins-rebels-in-fight-for-qaddafi-stronghold

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So, in April?

6. Dick Whitman

John Lee Anderson in The New Yorker a few weeks ago was hanging out on the front lines with some Americans of Libyan descent who had gone over to fight, including a father and son. The son was a U.S. med student.

7. Dick Whitman

The 17th, if I remember.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For the record, I don't know anyone I was close with in college who graduated with the major with which they started.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy needed a better plan for his life:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/nyregion/hope-fear-and-insomnia-journey-of-a-jobless-man.html?_r=1&hp

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll scratch "15 years of drug addiction" off my Franklin planner.

11. Dick Whitman

Seriously: What is crazy about saying that majoring in "business," for example, is poor planning?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Too blanket a statement.

Majoring in business if the sole desire and goal is to make money, is a poor decision. It's akin to people majoring in journalism because "Um . . . I like SPORTS!"

Choosing - and sticking with - a major without having an idea of what you want to do with it is a mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted