1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation Limbo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've always been a believer its more about the capacity to learn vs. what you learned.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hope so.

Mock all you want. Was talking to a customer yesterday. He owns a couple of franchises. He's new to the business.

He realizes now that he could have saved over $50,000 on equipment alone if he had bought directly instead of through his franchiser.

There's a million ways to make money. If you're interested in a particular field, work in it.

Figure out how to do it better. Figure out how you can save them money. Be their supplier. Provide a service for them.

You think it's funny, but I'm making money. I don't have a degree.

I'm betting these kids are smart enough to find their way once they get going.

3. YankeeFan

Neither Ray Kroc nor Howard Schultz founded the companies they are so closely associated with.

Both were sales guys. Kroc called on McDonalds. Schultz was selling to the founders of Starbucks.

They both did pretty well. I bet they're also pretty happy they took the initial, crappy sales job.

4. YankeeFan

And you can learn in any situation.

Learn from your circumstances. Learn from the people around you.

I learned plenty working in a warehouse and in a boatyard.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good for you, yankee fan. I read way too much about the 'woe is me' bullshit on this board and others.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Not looking to pick on you, podunk. There've been several posts despairing of business majors.

I must have missed the transition when business majors became unemployable. Can someone pinpoint it for me?

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

There was a report on NPR this morning about a few of the stories that ran in today's NY Times.
    One of them was an editorial by some black writer (Shelby? Something-or-other) who was criticizing President Obama for several shortcomings.
    He wrote something to the effect Obama has not "challenged this American society to do anything spectacular" and thereby is existing and governing amid a docile U.S. populous.
    That's sort of the direction several posters here are pointing. And it has a good chance of being true.
    But people are allowed to also motivate themselves if they so desire.

I will look for a link.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Blitz, I think that may be Shelby Steele's piece in the WSJ. He writes that the President "came of age in a bubble of post-'60s liberalism that conditioned him to be an adversary of American exceptionalism" and about "his passion for redistribution, and his scolding and scapegoating of Wall Street—as if his mandate was somehow to overcome, or at least subdue, American capitalism itself."

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/education/edlife/edl-17business-t.html?pagewanted=all

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right-wing stereotype stacked upon right-wing stereotype. In a WSJ op-ed.

That's almost cliche.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you major in pre-med, you're an idiot. That's one of the worst majors if you want to get into med school.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That "bubble of post-'60s liberalism" also held Nixon and Reagan and all the Bushes. It was a very, very big bubble indeed! Shelby Steele, defending Wall Street no matter the odds against him!

Draft saved Draft deleted