1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generalities and Questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let this be used as a resource for questions we have or things we want to talk about that don't have a specific thread. Or something.

Anyway, can someone help me find who came up with the "This is CNN" slogan?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I feel so dirty having actually looked at a Huffingtongue Post page, but here's what it said:

"The distinctive sound of James Earl Jones saying "This is CNN" is back on-air.

Jones recorded the soundbite for CNN's tenth anniversary in 1990. In the intervening years, the line became what some have called "the cable news channel's calling card.""

3. Songbird

I found that stuff too but I want to know who wrote the actual words and who hired Jones, with citation.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would have guessed they stole it from NPR.

5. SpeedTchr

Wait, you're telling me I sullied my soul to find something you already knew?

BDC99 likes this.
  6. Songbird

A little Borax will scrub your soul clean again.

No, I knew J.E.J. spoke the words. I want to know who wrote them, who hired Jones, etc. There's got to be a record. I've sent a few emails. Hoping a few folks here in TV know people who know people who ... can expedite the process. One of the good things about SJ.com.

7. Songbird

May have tracked the answer down but need confirmation. Anyone heard of Randy Tatum who worked at CNN in promotion?

8. SpeedTchr

Send him a Facebook message

9. Songbird

I did. Awaiting.

10. Songbird

Got the answer today: Rick Salcedo wrote the words and got James Earl Jones to voice them, and he was only to happy to because he loved CNN.

Paid him $60,000 -- or 20 grand a word. (Longer story is he spent 6 hours in a studio and said This is CNN! at least 1,000 times.)

11. Songbird

I fucking hate this song.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Agree, never got the allure of it. This Land is Your Land is great and he is a legend, but Alice's Restaurant is just hard to listen to, even if it were only 3 minutes.

Always forget This Land is Woody not Arlo, but anyway that is a great song.

Draft saved Draft deleted