1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 5, 2007.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

it's quite the double whammy when you are tripping and get the northern lights to boot while riding around campus on bikes with two hot girls. those were the days.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'd like to take a weekend trip to Niagra Falls this summer. Would anyone like to come with?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

mememememememememe!

As long as it's not for a honeymoon.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know next to nothing about math, which is why I became a journalist. Therefore, please have pity on me as I ask this question:

This is a major league baseball player. If he plays in 155 games in a season, how would you figure out how many hits he'd have if his average were around .350? What about if it were .400?

I simply don't know the formula for figuring out the average, nor do I have enough algebraic knowledge to do it in reverse.

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Driving over the Mackinac Bridge is a real sphincter-tightener.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Question: Can you hear the lights down there?

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'm serious about this. I'm going to be about seven or eight hours away, which is totally a driveable weekend trip distance.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It depends on the number of at bats per game.

If he were to average 3 ABs per game, that would be 465 ABs. He would have to get a hit 35% of the time for a .350 average, which is just under 163 hits (162.75). .400 would be 186.

9. rallen13

rallen13 Member

AA, The basic determination of batting average is to divide the number of hits by the number of at-bats. That's the easy part. To try to do what you want would require rither the number of AB's OR the number of hits. You can do what bydesign 77 suggested and select a benchmark for AB's, but to do the real thing, you need more info.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn you Funky Mountain and your Dionsyian life of adventure! :D

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry. Thought you were talking about taking off from Texas for Niagra Falls.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They make noise?

Draft saved Draft deleted