1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

AA, I seem to remember someone in the Minute Maid pressbox saying the per diem for MLB was $100 on the road and $75 at home. The reason for the at home $$ is to cover (as I understand it) the varied start times as the result of early starts on get-away days throughout the season. Also, when did you start with NG maps? I have been collecting them for years and they are simply incredible. Sitting and scanning one can sometimes be as enjoyable as reading a short novel.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I picked up a couple of them at a flea market... 50 cents each but they're at least 50 years old. Brittle in the case of the California map, so it's doubtful I'll open it too often. The other is North Central U.S., with Minnesota, Wisconsin, part of Michigan, etc.

And I LOOOOVE looking at these maps, picking out details, seeing the islands.

If I had enough money, I'd bankrupt myself buying USGS maps.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was settlement as part of a border war with Ohio in the early 1800s. Michigan wanted (wait for it)... Toledo; gubberment said no. AS a settlement, Michigan got the UP...

And you can order pasties here. ... pretty good, but I much prefer the one pound cinnamon rolls from this place

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

If you have a way to store them, laminating would keep them safe and keep you from having to reopen and tear them fro use.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

MLB players get more to eat on than I get for my job.

6. Platyrhynchos

What the hell's in a pastie?

And, I always thought they were those things that covered the nipples of strippers.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Those cinnamon rolls are awesome. You can have them shipped, but somehow I don't think they'd be the same.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can't imagine what they were like fresh. They were fucking awesome shipped...

as for the pasties...
    Our pasties are made with 75 percent beef, 25 percent pork, potatoes, rutabaga, carrotts, onions, spices, and a 100 percent vegetable shortening pastry crust. Our pasty recipe is a trade secret, of course.

http://www.pasty.com/faq.html

I find them good, but a little dry... its sacrilege but nothing a little gravy couldn't solve

9. Platyrhynchos

Is there any sure-fire, tried-and-true method that removes the underarm deodorant stain from shirt underarms?

And since I have 78 posts to go before reaching 1,100, I'm going to end each one with the Ten Code meaning for each one.

This one is 1022, which is "Disregard." But in this instance, please don't. :)

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Cross it on a bus, going 25 miles per hour in the outside line. Sit on the right and look down. WHEEEEE!

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

When Michigan was trying to become a state in the 1830s, it was only the lower peninsula that was applying. There was a dispute over a bit of land that included the mouth of the Maumee River called the Toledo Strip. Ohio won the dispute, and Michigan got the UP and a hearty thanks for playing. Then it entered as the 26th state. The UP was considered worthless until copper was discovered in the 1850s.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

What Slappy said. If you're in the middle of nowhere, which L'Anse is, those cinnamon buns are more than worth the stop. It's a pound of heaven, glucose levels be damned!

Draft saved Draft deleted