1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. alleyallen

    alleyallen Guest

    I don't mean for this to turn into some Random Thoughts type of thread, but I thought it would be nice to have a forum to ask questions without having to start a new thread each time.

    MODS: If you feel this is inappropriate, please lock and delete, however, I'm trying to be legit in this.

    Question 1: What is the per diem for MLB players?

    Question 2: What is the northern, unattached part of Michigan called?
  2. kingcreole

    kingcreole Active Member

    Question 2: I think it's called the Upper Peninsula.
  3. funky_mountain

    funky_mountain Active Member

    the upper peninsula or the UP (you-pea) for short, and the folks who live up there are called yoopers and there's a lot of great, mostly unspoiled trout streams up there. it's beautiful country despite the logging that ravaged the once-virgin timber.
  4. crusoes

    crusoes Active Member

    2: You mean Isle Royale? Or the Upper Peninsula? Don't know what you mean by unattached.
  5. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    You would be correct, sir.
    And Yoopers also call those who live in the Lower Peninsula (wait for it....) Trolls, because they live under the bridge.
  6. funky_mountain

    funky_mountain Active Member

    i think he meant unattached from michigan. and someday, someday, i'm going to get to isle royale. i've seen the northern lights in the UP and would love to see them on isle royale.
  7. Huggy

    Huggy Well-Known Member

    That Mackinac Bridge is a real white-knuckle ride in the winter.

    Don't know what the MLB per diem is but I seem to recall an NHL guy I know telling me that there's is $75 a day (half that if they're travelling).
  8. zeke12

    zeke12 Guest

    It's the UP, and you can eat pasties.
  9. funky_mountain

    funky_mountain Active Member

    you can find pasties in the lower peninsula, too. good eats.

    my old man is a civil engineering buff and is just fascinated with the bridge, including how it was built. he has a handful of books on the topic, including a pretty cool one with pictures of workers building the bridge.
  10. zeke12

    zeke12 Guest

    It's just not the same, though.

    I was once pulled over for speeding in the UP.

    I'm convinced the guy was just lonely.
  11. spnited

    spnited Active Member

    I believe I read that MLB per diem on the road is $88.
  12. alleyallen

    alleyallen Guest

    Thanks for answers to both questions. I was indeed referring to the area called UP. I recently bought a couple of old National Geographic maps from the '50s and was looking at that northern patch of Michigan. Always wondered why it was that way. Why not just make it part of Wisconsin? Of course, my knowledge of the history of that region is nonexistent, growing up as I did in Texas.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page