1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General movie news thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 3, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They may want to market the movie better. I hadn't heard about it until this thread today.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I dont understand what movie studios are doing with most films nowadays. I dont see ads for hardly anything, but I could simply not be paying attention lol.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My guess would be that Hamm or someone else probably had it in a contract that it needed to be released on X screens, but yeah, they did a crap job of publicizing it, and they also released it VOD at the same time for $20. Per Box Office Mojo, its only grossed $384,000, so hopefully it did well on rentals... It's like the inverse of the "Prey" situation, where it's hard to believe that anyone watched that movie and thought, "Well clearly this is a streaming-only release, shouldn't put this in theaters!" (Also, August and September have been pretty barren for decent wide releases; "Barbarian" obviously has its market, but its a niche film and its crazy that it was #1.)

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who has the fling with A-Rod in this scenario, Olivia or Harry?

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Also

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What bugs me is that actors and directors give up pay for a film to get made, and then get screwed by the distribution - I'm guessing studios have found it easier to hose profit participants with streaming than they do movie ticket numbers.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Harry looks like the centaur type, so I'd bet on him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Cast of the new Walter Hill western (also stars Willem Dafoe) "Dead for a Dollar."

[​IMG]

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Walter Hill is still alive and making movies?

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Having a woman in a long dress ride astride wouldn't be historically accurate.

Cowgirls and Characters
    It seems crazy to think that women rode sidesaddle with both legs hanging over the same side of a horse. Few women rode astride until the early 1900s. Of course there were outliers like Calamity Jane who often posed for photographs dressed like a man. Stagecoach Mary Fields (the first African American woman to work as a contractor for the U.S. Postal Service driving a stagecoach) wore pants. The Spanish speaking woman from Texas at the top of the article is wearing pants. But, for the most part, women wore long dresses.

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Years ago on vacation at a ranch, I met the guy who taught Ricky Nelson how to ride a horse for "Rio Bravo". I asked him how that was. He said Ricky and Dean Martin were great, but that they had to stop Yakima Canutt from kicking John Wayne's ass.

maumann likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted