1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General movie news thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is intended to be a place to post news and previews, etc. I feel guilty plopping them down in "Last movie you watched" for lack of a more generic thread.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yes, apparently testing so bad it would have damaged the rest of the DC universe - and that's saying something given what DC stuff HAS been released.

Batman likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's all BS. Plenty of shit superhero movies have been released -- and re-released, see: Morbius.

They don't want to spend all the extra money on promoting it, and they can save money as a tax write off.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    sgreenwell and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hard pass. Vincent Chase wasn't available?

5. DanOregon

6. DanOregon

2022 Worldwide Box Office - Box Office Mojo

Interesting numbers - yes, people are returning to theaters, but these numbers look kind of underwhelming at this point in the summer. Some of the movies in the top-20 - like Lightyear - have even been viewed as "disappointments" financially.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Unless it is a mega blockbuster, a lot of people would rather watch what’s the new movie, never in theaters, on Netflix or HBO Max than shell out $17 a person at the theater.

The mid level movies are getting killed.

8. DanOregon

Anyone else also notice at a theater that the screen seems "smaller" than when you watch something at home due tv screen size and you are closer. Sound as well.

9. DanOregon

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of our corporate-owned theaters got those recliners with trays and cup holders that you can sit in. It’s only $2 more per seat, so we’ve done it whenever we see a film there now.

Sometimes, I’ve almost dozed off during the midway-lull.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The recliners are a guaranteed nap for me when I'm at the movies with my kids, watching something animated or otherwise not requiring my attention.

garrow and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To circle back to this - I think the wild success of "Prey" has shown that the only hard rule in Hollywood is the one William Goldman always repeated: "Nobody knows anything." How the hell does *that* movie end up on Hulu and not in theaters?

Given how much money things like "Straight Outta Compton" and "Crazy Rich Asians" printed, I kind of think it's wildly stupid for HBO/Discovery to not throw "Batgirl" into theaters at the least, since it starred the first Latina superhero AND had Michael Keaton returning as Batman. ETA: Michael Eisner, of all people, part of the reason why he succeeded is that he was willing to produce content he didn't necessarily see the appeal of. And, I don't think the executives at Discovery, makers of 500 different variants of "House Hunters" and Shark Week, should necessarily assume that they're tastemakers when it comes to action movies, especially over the writer / directors of "Ms. Marvel" and "Bad Boys for Life."

Draft saved Draft deleted