1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Editor -- ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Apr 2, 2007.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Not so sure about that, but if I could eat with Mr. Met, Benny the Bull and the Deamon Deacon, I would look forward to lunch every day.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Keith Olbermann once called Bristol the most God-forsaken town in America, and having lived there for a few months (I should thank the boss who turfed me at a weekly out there), I believe it. Once the bowling alley burned down...
    The Bristol-Southington border was a massive satellite dish farm in 1990, pre-deuce, News, U, Classic, Deportes, etc., right down the street from the soulless apartment complex ghetto I liven in.
    Southington (Rob Dibbleville) isn't a bad town, but most of the front-row talent, at least then, lived up north in Simsbury (where I worked) and Avon - Old Farms, Kent, Choate country. Not places where ordinary grunts could even afford a closet.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Why would you live in Bristol when Hartford is so close?? Is it not possible financially to live in Hartford and work in Bristol if you took this position?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As someone who spent five years in Middletown, there are save havens in central Connecticut. None pf them are in Bristol.

5. Few ESPN employees actually live in Bristol. But for anyone single and under 30, anywhere in the area is a tough place to live.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Southington: Home of Rob Dibble AND Carl Pavano.

Civic pride.

7. terrier

There is a valid explanation, P-Town: I-84 and all those left-lane exits. One of the worst freeways in America....and just wait til rush hour!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not THAT bad. It's not even close. Sometimes you get jammed up in Waterbury and it's usually jammed from downtown Hartford thru the tunnel/East Hartford line. Other than that, nothing.

I-95 between New Haven and the New York border, on the other hand, is the worst fucking stretch of highway in the fucking world.

9. terrier

The Mass Pike and the Merritt Parkway are the only palatable escape choices from southern New England.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You'd think, but you'd be surprised now unconducive (word?) to good work having people scattered around is.

The same newsroom interaction that should help make a better newspaper -- and is doing so less and less these days -- works for the Web as well.

I tried working at home a couple of weeks ago -- and even though I had all the technical capabilities I needed to do my job, I hated it.

Draft saved Draft deleted