1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Editor, ESPN the Magazine, New York City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, May 31, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://jobs.espncareers.com/new-york-(ny)/editor/general-editor-jobs

General Editor

Department: ESPN Magazine

Job Title: GENERAL EDITOR, DIGITAL AND PRINT

Job Responsibilities

The general editor plans, assigns, edits and posts daily and long-form content for all digital platforms of espn, focusing primarily on mobile applications for the iPhone and iPad, but also including the insider section of espn.com and any other espn the magazine platforms for mobile and online. This person will be responsible for the direction and maintenance of one or more departments within insider and the magazine, working closely with writers, content providers and editors–both inside and outside espn–to develop coverage plans and execute day-to-day content for these platforms. This position requires a passion for and in-depth knowledge of sports in general and the major sports in particular.

The General Editor is a non-managing job, responsible for coordinating editorial content for a specific page, section or area of espn the magazine’s digital and mobile platforms. Alone or with other sources, the general editor gathers content and coordinates coverage; works to expand and make coverage more comprehensive, using a multitude of platforms, including video, audio, and text; works with staff writers, editors and freelancers; generates story ideas; contributes to special features and stories; and edits multiple stories, among other duties. The general editor typically edits copy and posts content that meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements; writes blurbs, blogs and features; enhances existing material; contributes to creating a positive multimedia experience for users of the Magazine’s various platforms.

Desired Requirements

• 5+ years of editing and reporting experience, including digital media

• Solid competence in writing, editing and reporting

• Good appreciation of popular culture, e.g., "what's cool" and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN's audiences

• Basic understanding of the market positioning and strategies of assigned sport / event / area

• Basic ability to follow and shape stories at various stages of development using various means of presentation

•Solid news journalism experience and news judgment; understands assigned sport from a journalistic point of view, but is not locked into the newspaper tradition

• Strong understanding of HTML and Internet/mobile publishing tools

• Strong English grammar, strong understanding of AP style and excellent organizational skills

• Strong ability to work efficiently under deadline pressures

• Familiarity with most major Internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet

• Strong understanding of some or all major sports, as well as a working knowledge of athletes, coaches, league operations and the like

• Bachelors’ degree or higher preferred in journalism, communications or a related field

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I love the way that ESPN is "opening" the market up but I question is it growing too fast? The saturation point between sports, the public, and employment has to be close at hand.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is this a new position? Or are they filling an existing position? I ask because I thought I heard or read that ESPN's growth in the written journalism industry has sort of reached its peak in terms of growth and has leveled off. Don't know if that's true or not.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

FOX Sports tried something similar when it started hiring reporters away from newspaper during its mega-expansion. Then things went sour and a lot of those big hires (for big money) were sent packing. I'm sure ESPN has looked at the problems that plagued FOX Sports and is taking an approach that might be more successful.

With that said, I can't even stand reading ESPN the Magazine (even though I get it for free), so I can't imagine working on it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been hearing for two years that The Magazine is on it's deathbed and the only reason anyone still gets it is because it's tied into ESPN.com's insider fee.

There is some unbelievable writing and reporting in that magazine, but you have to sift through a ton of shit to find it.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Looks like this ad has been pulled off ESPN's careers site. Wonder if the job doesn't really exist, or there was a deluge of applications.

7. pffft

pffft Member

I was never able to actually apply to this one. The link took me to the ESPN website with the listing, but to actually apply, you had to go to the Disney website where the job was nowhere to be found (at least not that I could see).

Another weird thing is some of the other positions that are listed don't seem to actually be openings. The "date" next to them, which I assume to be the date the opening was listed, changes every day to the previous day. Just kinda sucks when you go through the trouble to apply, write a cover letter and fill out the application information, then it seems the job doesn't even exist.

Draft saved Draft deleted