1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General clubhouse professional courtesy thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That reminds me of the story about Dale Hunter. He brought a similar rule into effect in London with the new dressing room at the JLC. Turns out the only person ever fined for walking on the logo that year was allegedly Hunter himself.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

FSU football is kind of touchy about the no logo walking thingy also.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So are the Phoenix Coyotes ... I was in the dressing room when some radio flack stepped all over the logo and stood there, and I thought he was going to get killed.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not that Dale doesn't have enough to deal with with his recent DUI charge, but he should be fined heavily for that brutal Century 21-style jacket he wears behind the bench.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

True, but it's still better than the cherry-red jackets the news team at CKCO in Kitchener used to have to wear.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Things I've seen done over the last 10 years...

I've seen reporters eat off the clubhouse buffet...

I've seen reporters take a swig of champagne in a celebratory locker room...

I've seen reporters swipe a gatorade out of the cooler at football practice...

I've seen a reporter pick up used batting gloves off the ground so he could sell them...

I've seen reporters go into the trash to get a player's mail...

I've seen a reporter challenge a player to Xbox...

I've seen a reporter pick up a player's cell phone and then wrote down a bunch of phone numbers...

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I've seen reporters eat off the clubhouse buffet... We all like free food, admit it!

I've seen reporters take a swig of champagne in a celebratory locker room...Dead wrong...even if not for drinking on the job

I've seen reporters swipe a gatorade out of the cooler at football practice...It's hot out! BUt still wrong

I've seen a reporter pick up used batting gloves off the ground so he could sell them...Theft...plain and simple

I've seen reporters go into the trash to get a player's mail...Pathetic

I've seen a reporter challenge a player to Xbox...Juvenile

I've seen a reporter pick up a player's cell phone and then wrote down a bunch of phone numbers...I hope the player found out

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The first 3 I'm cool with, if an invitation was extended.

The Xbox one is harmless. Good way to build rapport ... so long as you're not an asshole as said reporter apparently was.

The trash one, shitty as it sounds, garbage is fair game as ruled by SCOTUS.

The cellphone one, if a reporter can't build enough trust to get at least 1 or 2 players' cells, and has to steal the numbers, he (or she, let's be fair) has got a lot of low-A ball in the future.

The batting gloves one is just plain-and-simple bush league.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

First rule of locker room protocol: If you write something critical of a player, make sure you show up next day and that he sees you there---even if no words are spoken. And if you are a columnist and the next day isn't a write day, show up anyway. The player likely will hate your guts for a while, but he will know you aren't a weenie.

10. spud

spud Member

And thus the "Mariotti Rule" was born.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This isn't so much a clubhouse story, but it's close.

Yesterday at Iowa's media day, one of my writers and a guy from another newspaper were interviewing an area kid who is the team's punter. TV guy comes up, grabs the punter, and says, "We need you over here. These guys are done." Punter says he'll come back, goes over, answers three questions, then returns. He tells my writer that one of the three questions that was asked was, "What's your favorite pizza?"

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I know a couple who swiped empty champagne bottles left scattered around.

Draft saved Draft deleted