1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General clubhouse professional courtesy thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 2, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hate when that happens.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What did you do when that happened? Say anything to the asshole TV person?

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Don't bother someone who doesn't want to be bothered. Respect a one-on-one, no matter how ridiculously long it gets or how irrelevant the conversation surely is. Don't piggyback on everyone else's questions constantly -- you've got to ask some of your own and initiate some interviews now and then or people will think you're a parasite. And, if you're a radio guy, you get to ask the first 3 or maybe 4 questions in the postgame with the manager, but if you go past that, you're kind of being a jerk. Ask your two questions about the game and your one question about the upcoming contest and let the print guys have at it.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Something sarcastic like "Real nice, dude." I'm not much with comebacks.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good one. Learned that one the hard way.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What happened?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My first day as an employee with the junior hockey team I work for I walked across the logo. Was lit up by the assistant captain (who played in the NHL last season) in front of the whole team and fined $25 (usually players' fine begins at $2).

Five years later I haven't done it since.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just remember that you are a professional and conduct yourself as such.

And if Raffy Palmeiro walks past you after a loss, give him room. ;D

9. tmunson

tmunson New Member

Some good stuff here, but you're probably best off just to keep Will McDonough in mind, the famed Boston reporter who decked a player. Pro athletes, baseball players especially, can be jerks and will try to intimidate or embarrass you if you've written something they didn't particularly like. Stand your ground.

Also, if you hear a player objected to something you wrote (the team's PR people usually will let you know) be proactive about it and go talk to the player. It's best to get things cleared up sooner rather than later.

Don't linger. That's a tough one. Because players are so in and out of the clubhouse before a game, it's hard not to just stand and wait for the guy to grab something from his locker. If you really need him, just wait it out.

Dont sweat the logo thing too much. Most players dont pay much attention to the media, so if you forget and happen to walk on it, best bet is no one will notice. I wouldnt advise standing on it.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The logo thing is just a part of the kangaroo court system that is as old as hockey or baseball themselves. Hugs was an employee and a newbie, so he was low-hanging fruit. No big deal.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Last year at a college basketball game a bunch of us were standing around a player in the post-game press room. TV camera guy brings over a chair and gets on it so he can get a shot. Old guy who's in charge of the press room comes over and tells him to get off the chair. I move out of the way so he can get down, but as he steps down he swings the camera around and nearly hits me with the back of it. I instinctively put my hand up and shoved the camera away. The guy apologizes, but his buddy, some news reporter geek, says, "Why don't you get out of the way the next time."

I walked over when the interview was over and asked him if he would like to repeat what he said. He just walked away. Prick.

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

Why would someone put a logo on a carpet if they don't want it walked on? I've got better things to do than tiptoe around some rug design

Draft saved Draft deleted