1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General assignment reporter, Bay Area News Group/San Jose Mercury News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark Conley, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Mark Conley

Mark Conley New Member

Seeking a Swiss army knife go-getter who can play backup on some of our major pro and college beats (Sharks, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Stanford). We need someone who can deliver clean, crisp gamers and news stories as well as smartly conceived features and trend stories. A major emphasis on digital-first thinking. Those without established digital chops - a highly active Twitter account, for starters - need not apply. One to three years prior experience covering pro and/or college sports for a daily required. Email a resume, cover letter and five of your best
    clips (PDFs or links) to Executive Sports Editor Bud Geracie at bgeracie@mercurynews.com. We're looking to move fast.

2. I bring this topic back up only to inquire a) if BANG had hired anyone for this spot and b) whether it was true what I heard through the grapevine that BANG had another opening covering baseball?

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They had an As opening a bit ago.

4. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

If they filled that roving position at all, it has been done already. Their baseball beat writers, A's, Giants, aren't very good. They could use a big upgrade there.

5. writingump

writingump Member

I did a couple of freelance stories for Bud back in December 2010. It seems like he'd be a pretty good guy for which to work. I like my station in life right now, but if the newspaper biz were more stable, I'd be all over this one. Lots of variety and opportunities here.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This can't be open....it's dated from last September.

7. Right. Don't want to confuse anyone. This isn't a fresh posting.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I don't know about the GA opening, but John Hickey has been hired to cover the A's. John covered the A's for the Oakland Tribune many years ago before moving to Seattle to cover the Mariners.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good re-hire in Hickey. As for the GA slot, who knows? During the lockout, David Pollak, the Sharks writer, did a lot of GA work.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I second the good on Hickey. Always enjoyed reading his Mariners coverage in the late, lamented P-I.

Draft saved Draft deleted