1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Upshaw RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

That's totally unfair. Gene did far, far more for his fellow players than any of his late-to-the-party detractors. He inherited a defeated mess of a union because his contemporaries were apathetic and eventually split and busted. The same former players complaining about retirement and health benefits had the opportunity to take care of themselves when they were active players and in position to do something about it. They made Gene the scapegoat for their pitiful inability to stick up for themselves.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Four days, devil? I don't buy it.

And like Simon said, if Upshaw gets admitted to a hospital and doesn't come home ... that's actually believable. But the information we have now? Something's up. I don't know what, but we're missing some pieces to this puzzle.

3. Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

And just to clarify, from what the lawyer says, it's actually more like 3 1/2 days from the point he was diagnosed (Sunday night) to this morning.

4. Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

it says apparently from the cancer as the cause of death, but he also may have had a bad reaction to treatment. had this happen fairly recently to a friend's very close mentor...diagnosed with leukemia one day, dead two weeks later (after a week on life support) due to a bad reaction to radiation/chemo/treatment (don't remember which).

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A little before my time, but I know enough to know he was one tough dude.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm told that the worst thing about pancreatic cancer is that it's nearly undetectable on its own. Normally it's not discovered and diagnosed unless the doctor is looking for something else.

Cancer's a bitch. Stealth cancer's a mean bitch.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My father had pancreatic cancer, and it was found when he went for a physical.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Pancreatic is fast. And awful. It was a couple of months for my old editor. Back in high school, a buddy's mom went in to the doctor with some stomach pain. They eventually opened her up and cancer was ravaging her, she died a day later.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From what I have read, it is right up there with bone cancer as the most painful.... how can it be undetectable?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dying within days is a weird dichotomy — it's especially mean to loved ones but at least it allows for minimal suffering for the patient and a chance to say goodbye. I'm trying to figure out how to describe it.

There's definitely an unhappy medium to fatal illnesses — between battling a disease for 10-15 years, and dropping dead of a heart attack or dying in a crash. The first is sad but still expected, and the second is so shocking it doesn't register at first. This instance is like "dropping-dead" death to the public because none of us even had a clue he was sick.

Being diagnosed and dying within days is the most horrifying for family. It's so sudden and yet it has time to sink in. That's how my paternal grandfather went 15 years ago with lung cancer. He didn't know he had it because he wasn't a smoker and, well, he didn't see any need to go check out that coughing-blood thing.

At least he didn't have to suffer for months or years, and at least he was able to get his will and other affairs squared away. He shuffled off to the next plane A-OK, but it sure sucked for the rest of us.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

<blockquote>Early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is difficult because the symptoms are usually non-specific and varied. Common symptoms include pain in the upper abdomen that typically radiates to the back and is relieved by leaning forward (seen in carcinoma of the body or tail of the pancreas), loss of appetite, significant weight loss and painless jaundice related to bile duct obstruction (carcinoma of the head of the pancreas). <b>All of these symptoms can have multiple other causes. Therefore, pancreatic cancer is often not diagnosed until it is advanced.</b></blockquote>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer#Presentation

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The owners are probably paying to keep him alive.

Draft saved Draft deleted