1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Upshaw RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

So diagnosed Sunday and now this today. Damn.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

People who saw him every day had no clue, so yeah, it's not the kind of thing any writer had any reason to be on top of. He might have been diagnosed fairly recently, but there is so little info, except for confirmation that he is gone. It's really amazing. NO ONE had any clue, including his colleagues.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How is that possible?

Wow.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But if you wanted to remember him fondly, the player angle might be better.

I do agree, hard news wise, it's the union that is tops.

5. 93Devil

My dad never went to see a doctor for stuff. I could see how this is true.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I find this hard to believe. Or maybe I just find it TOO hard to believe -- did he never go to the doctor? Did he never have a checkup, anything? No pain, no symptoms, no cause for concern? Nothing?

I mean, cancer's an awful, terrible beast. That shit don't just sneak up and kill you quietly. It hurts, man.

Doctor says you have cancer, four days later you're dead? HOW does anyone let that happen? How does anyone with a FAMILY allow that to happen?

I don't get it.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Walking into a doctor's office and getting diagnosed and being gone 4 days later?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

What could be a key point: USA Today story says "has died, apparently of pancreatic cancer."

It's morbid, but I'm guessing he wouldn't be the first person to get that kind of devastating diagnosis and decide to handle things himself. Especially if he was in awful shape by the time he went to the doctor.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Oh... I could imagine myself having cancer now.... I go to the doctor's once every 18 months (I went in 2005 after a 10-year absence).

But the four days after diagnosis death is what stuns me.

If he had been admitted to the emergency room and died at a hospital four days later, that would be one thing..... more believable.

But this is weird.

10. Simon_Cowbell

And that was what I was wondering without actually typing it.

11. 93Devil

My Grandmother had a neighbor who she finally talked into going to see the doctor. The doc saw him and sent him immediately to a major hospital.

He was filled with cancer. Never made it back home.

This was 1982 or so.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I can imagine it, too. But at some point, your body's going to tell you, "Something ain't right." And it's not going to say that four days before you die -- maybe you only get a few months, but anybody in a reasonable physical condition is going to know something's wrong. And with cancer, people around you are going to know, too. They may not know the extent of it or how serious it is, but people will figure it out. Somebody will be able to tell.

Something's too weird here. I don't think we've heard the half of it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted