1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Upshaw RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

Here's the tale tail sign the part is over. If you called Gene's house and he's not around....

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Honestly? Do you really want honesty, because I'm guessing you don't on an RIP thread.

They feel ecstatic they can get a change in that powerful position.

Upshaw probably had to battle less pain in his demise than most ex-players his age.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Shell and Upshaw... as good as a one side of a line as there has been.

Upshaw's number, of course, 63.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Huh?

Jesus, I better never leave my house.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would hope the coverage would focus on him as a player and his classic battles with the Dolphins, Chiefs and Steelers and playing for Madden and Davis.

That would interest me more as a reader.

6. Simon_Cowbell

I'm guessing there is little chance of that angle prevailing.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The more relevant angle, besides the news of his death of course, is NOT his playing career. Not in 2008.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kept sports writers clueless? Why would a sports writer pursue the story? Gene Upshaw isn't an "in the news every day" kind of guy.

That's a vicious form of cancer. It took out my brother-in-law's sister in a matter of weeks. Just awful.

9. Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26326065/

NBC sports attributing it to NFL.com.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's awful... sorry for a great player

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I don't cover the NFL and I don't have a very good understanding of its labor laws, so I'm hoping someone can explain something to me: Why would the players union ever have agreed to a system that does not guarantee its contracts?

Also, what role did Gene Upshaw have in fighting/not fighting against that provision?

12. Re: Gene Upshaw dead?

And congratulations to USA Today for being the first I've seen to find a NAMED source (now if they would only edit out the duplicate sentence):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-08-21-upshaw_N.htm

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw has died, apparently of pancreatic cancer. His death was confirmed Thursday morning by Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer who has represented the NFLPA in labor negotiations.

His death was confirmed Thursday morning by Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer who has represented the NFLPA in labor negotiations.

Kessler said Upshaw did not receive his diagnosis until Sunday night "and he didn't tell anybody. He didn't know until Sunday."

Employees of the NFLPA, based in Washington, D.C., were beginning to get word of Upshaw's death around 8:30 a.m. ET.

Draft saved Draft deleted