1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Duffey, ex-Houston Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Members of Texas SportsJournalists.com may remember Gene Duffey, a longtime member of the old Houston Post staff.

Gene was felled by cardiac arrest while attending a party last night. Luckily, a few of the partygoers were able to administer CPR until the EMTs arrived. It was touch-and-go at the time but he is now in ICU at a Houston hospital. Please keep him in your prayers.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wow. Good work by the partygoers, and great news for Gene, whom I don't know.

Definitely fingers crossed and hoping for the best for him.

3. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Without a doubt one of the kindest and friendliest men in the press box. Hang in there and keep typing Gene. Our prayers are with you, man.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Gene's got a lot of friends in the Deep South as well from his days on the Bama beat. Hope anyone with knowledge of his condition can provide updates. Thanks.

5. Armchair_QB

Update:

He's been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. Hopefully somebody on here can give us a definition of that. He did not have a heart attack but went into cardiac arrest. I did not realize there was a difference but there is.

His brain was without oxygen for a period after he collapsed so I guess, clinically, he was dead for some time before he was stablized by the EMTs.

The doctors are in the process of cooling his body to help him recover. They won't know more for a few days.

From what I understand he has no close living relatives. His parents are deceased and he did not have any brothers or sisters.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Gene spent a few years in Huntsville, Ala., too.

A great guy and great writer.

Get well soon, my friend.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

here's hoping for a full recovery for gene, really a good guy.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Here's what I found putting the term in a Google search:

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn. Hate to hear it. Gene was a kind, mentoring fellow to me back when I was a mere student journalist.

Thing I'll always remember about him is that, even after he'd been on the Alabama beat for a few years and everyone in the athletic department knew his name, he'd still raise his hand slightly and say "Gene Duffey, Huntsville Times" before asking a question at a press conference.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Duff's one of the good guys. Last time I saw him was during hoops season and he was staying pretty busy free-lancing for papers and doing stat work for radio/TV game broadcasts. Hope he pulls through. Please keep us updated.

11. Armchair_QB

Will do. Probably won't hear any more for a day or two.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

This is amazing. I just spoke to Gene late last week and he seemed fine (complaining about the decline of newspapers as usual).

Draft saved Draft deleted